SATA RAID Dilemma

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by smackedass, Apr 6, 2007.

  1. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    Hello,

    I am attempting to install Windows XP Professional onto a 76 GB SATA hard
    drive. The tower contains another 76 GB SATA hard drive, which was
    configured as a RAID mirror.

    The installation begins, however, when I get to the point where it says
    "Starting Windows", the next screen says (to the effect of) "Cannot find a
    hard drive to install". So, I broke the mirror, but still am getting the
    same message.

    The mobo is a Biostar M7NCD Ultra, and its ports that connect the SATA
    cables are labeled JSATA1 and JSATA2.

    To make matters more difficult, the SATA drives don't even show up in the
    BIOS, in the boot sequence, or anywhere else. However, SATA is enabled in
    the BIOS.

    And, there's nothing about this in the Microsoft Knowledge Base. And, at
    the Maxtor (now Seagate) site, when I went to search the model of the hard
    drives, which is 6Y080M0, nothing was found.

    I'm thinking that maybe if I disconnect the second SATA drive, Drive 1, it
    might make a difference. I'm also thinking that it might make a difference
    if I upgrade the BIOS.

    I did a quick Google search, but I don't even know how to phrase my dilemma
    into the form of a question.

    Help. Please. Am hopefully, shamelessly ignorant about what my next move
    should be.

    Any requests are appreciated.

    Thanks, in advance,

    smackedass

    smackedass, Apr 6, 2007

  2. smackedass

    Noozer Guest

    F6 when prompted & insert the SATA driver floppy disk

    Noozer, Apr 6, 2007

  3. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    How do I find what the SATA driver is? Is it mobo or HD related?

    Thanks,

    sa

    smackedass, Apr 6, 2007
  4. smackedass

    pen Guest

    pen, Apr 6, 2007
  5. GlowingBlueMist, Apr 6, 2007
  6. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    Thank you, THANK you.

    Haven't tried it out yet, but thanks for the links.

    sa

    smackedass, Apr 6, 2007
  7. smackedass

    Mister Guest

    This even more fun when you try to install XP on a newer computer with
    no floppy drive and XP doesn't recognize the SATA drive. Then you
    have to open computer and temporarily connect a floppy dirve to load
    the drivers.

    If you are going to set it up as mirrored drives, make sure you have
    that setup first before you start to install XP.

    I once did a complete install of XP on a Dell, then set the RAID up as
    mirrored drives and it wanted to erase both drives. No other option
    except for erase. So, Norton Ghost came in handy. Moved contents to
    another drive, erased both RAID drives and then moved contents back.

    Mister, Apr 6, 2007
  8. smackedass

    Jack Guest

    I was just going to ask, "what if there is no floppy?"
    I wonder if it is possible to load the SATA drivers via USB flash drive?
    And everyone thought the floppy was obsolete...

    Jack, Apr 6, 2007
  9. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    Unfortunately, the links from Pen and GlowingBlueMist show drivers that are
    like 6MB, and 12MB...this is one of those instances where I think, why do
    these people have to make things so complicated...

    sa

    smackedass, Apr 6, 2007
  10. smackedass

    GT Guest

    You'll get 7 years bad luck now too!

    GT, Apr 6, 2007
  11. smackedass

    kony Guest

    The floppy from GlowingBlueMist's link is only 300K, but the
    larger package has more you can take or leave. Better to
    have more than not enough.

    kony, Apr 6, 2007
  12. smackedass

    Andy Guest

    You should resolve this first. If the BIOS cannot detect the drive, it
    won't be able to boot Windows or any other operating system from it.

    Andy, Apr 7, 2007
  13. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    So, I broke the mirror, but still am getting the

    Bih -duhn -duhn

    smackedass, Apr 7, 2007
  14. smackedass

    Glenn Guest

    I had a customer that requested that the Diskette drives be disconnected
    in all but 2 of his PC's so that his employees could not load anything
    from home.

    Glenn, Apr 8, 2007
  15. smackedass

    SBFan2000 Guest

    What he didn't think that his employees were smart enough to bring stuff in
    on CDs??

    SBFan2000, Apr 8, 2007
  16. smackedass

    Glenn Guest

    They didn't have CD's. Only an HD and a network connection. We would
    Load a bootstrap, the network would download their system then we would
    open them up and disconnect the floppy.

    Glenn, Apr 9, 2007
  17. smackedass

    SBFan2000 Guest

    oh, so this was awhile back. I thought you were talking about recently.
    Back before CDs that would have made plenty of sense but now there is no
    point in disconnecting the floppy because nearly ever computer has a CD. Of
    course now adays there is really very little point in having a floppy to
    begin with.

    SBFan2000, Apr 9, 2007