    enclosure?

    Regards,
    John.

    John, Jun 15, 2006

  2. John

    Dave Taylor Guest

    This one.
    Eject / Stop Icon. If it does not stop, do a shut down.

    Dave Taylor, Jun 15, 2006

  3. John

    John Guest

    Thanks.

    John.

    John, Jun 15, 2006
  4. John

    thingy Guest

    where from? let us know how it performs.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Jun 15, 2006
  5. John

    John Guest

    Paradigm - just arrived to-day, lunch-time:)

    John.

    John, Jun 16, 2006
  6. John

    thingy Guest

    How are you connecting? pci card or off the motherboard?

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Jun 16, 2006
  7. John

    John Guest

    The enclosure comes with a SATA-eSATA adapter bracket so it's a simple
    matter of connecting the SATA cable end to the motherboard and the
    eSATA cable connects to the adapter.

    My old hard drive enclosure was a 5.25 ICZ ME-320U2 and had a cooling
    fan included within the case. When the power was turned on it sounded
    like a 747 taking off. (Sold the ICZ and a 40GB IDE hard drive to a
    neighbour for $50).
    The ICZ was a USB enclosure and I could start and stop from within
    Windows and turn off the power. I was hoping that a similar action
    would be possible with the new SATA enclosure, but that is not the
    case. I could use it as a USB but prefer to have it connected via SATA
    for speed.

    With the new enclosure if I turn it on from within Windows it's not
    seen, I have to turn the power on before starting. If I turn the unit
    off while in Windows the computer hangs at the "Windows is shutting
    down" screen.
    The way I have decided to get around this minor irritation is to
    reboot and turn the unit on - then do the same for turning the power
    off.

    As the unit is silent I could leave on all the time, but as I use it
    only for backup purposes for a short period of time a few times a week
    this seems pointless.

    Testing the unit out this morning I made an image of my C: drive and
    the speed was just as fast as my internal drives.

    As for the actual enclosure I'm very impressed. The packaging was
    superb and came with a power adaptor and cable, a USB cable, a eSATA
    cable and SATA-eSata adapter bracket, user manual, vertical stand and
    misc screws.

    Installing was a simple process completed in a few minutes and the
    unit is a great looking piece of gear:)

    The cost for this great new toy came to $235 complete for the
    enclosure, hard drive, and courier.

    Regards,
    John

    John, Jun 17, 2006
  8. John

    Jasen Betts Guest

    that's a software problem. hopefully it'll be fixed as these things
    become more popular.

    sata hotplug has been experimental in linux for over a year or so maybe
    it'll be available in windows some time.
    yeah, sata is like that.
    I think it was noised at work that someone was selling these on trademe.
    I misremember the price or wether the drive was included or you had to
    provide your own 2.5" sata drive.

    Bye.
    Jasen

    Jasen Betts, Jun 17, 2006
  9. John

    John Guest

    Thanks for the information Jasen. Nice to know it isn't something I'm
    doing wrong:)

    Regards,
    John.

    John, Jun 17, 2006