    i have 2 80gb drives, cabled as cable select - per mfgr specs - can i
    add an sata drive as the "slave" and an eide as the master or do both
    volumes need to be all one or the other? tkz

    dakine, Jan 14, 2005

  2. dakine

    Toolman Tim Guest

    |i have 2 80gb drives, cabled as cable select - per mfgr specs - can i
    | add an sata drive as the "slave" and an eide as the master or do both
    | volumes need to be all one or the other? tkz

    It's not mix 'n match. IDE is IDE, SATA is SATA. You can't mix them on the
    same cable. In fact, you probably don't have SATA capabilities in your
    computer at all. You'd have to buy an add-on card to put SATA into the
    system.

    If you are looking at adding more hard drive storage space, you can do the
    SATA card and drive if you have a free slot. Or you can replace the slave
    drive with a larger one. Or you can put an IDE drive on the cable with the
    CD-ROM (unless you have two of those). You could buy an add-on IDE card for
    more hard drives as well. So many options...so little money...

    Toolman Tim, Jan 14, 2005

  3. dakine

    Infinite Guest

    No, you cannot have ide and sata on the same cable. You would nee
    different cables/ports on your motherboard to support

    Infinite, Jan 20, 2005