    and allow me to copy the files to say a USB thumb drive?...BTW...there is no
    CD-ROM or Floppy drive installed.

    Thanks in advance !

    Steve Lovisa, Jul 11, 2005

  2. If you plan to format the drive and reload windows then you wont need to
    remove anything unless you're talking about a secure erase. If however you
    mean there are a few files you'd like to save, then yes there are utilities
    that can be used to read an NTFS disk partition from a dos environment.

    The problem you have is that without a cd or diskette drive you have no way
    of doing anything unless you take the machine apart.

    Perhaps you'd like to explain yourself further or merely indicate where you
    wanted to shove the "DOS boot disk".

    is but a dream within a dream.

    Lord Gazwad of Grantham, Jul 11, 2005

  3. Steve Lovisa

    Pennywise Guest

    |>Here's the problem. I have a Dell GX280 (not my choice, my company's) With
    |>a corrupted OS (win XP). Inside the GX280 is a SATA drive......Before i wipe
    |>the drive and reload it, I need to remove some files from the My Documents
    |>folder.
    |>Here's my Question.....Is there a DOS boot disk that will boot the machine
    |>and allow me to copy the files to say a USB thumb drive?...BTW...there is no
    |>CD-ROM or Floppy drive installed.

    Download and format your USB drive with http://tinyurl.com/6zheh
    this will make it bootable.

    Goto www.Bootdisk.com and download and install to your USB a Win98
    boot disk.

    Of course your BIOS must be able to boot from the USB device.

    Pennywise, Jul 11, 2005