  1. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    Sorry i didn't thinkof that.

    Diehard, Jan 6, 2004

  2. Sounds like a plan. Good luck.

    Calvin Crumrine, Jan 6, 2004

  3. Diehard

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    I have only SNES, NES, N64, Age Of Empires (original and Rise of Rome),
    star trek bridge commander, Quake 3, Tribes 2, HalfLife, and Unreal
    Tournament on my machine. Those take up 10 GB of data (the UT install is a
    fresh one without any downloaded maps, and I don't do mods for quake or
    halflife). That would be like 30% of the space of that SATA drive.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 6, 2004
  4. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    Yeah, I don't think games will be a problem since I won't have that many on
    the pc. Right now I'm just having a hard time with how to make the system
    the fastest. Cus i do want the faster boot time on sata, and the OS to be a
    tad faster. I just wish i had like 70gb or so 10krpm, oh well. i guess about
    the only thing i can do is OS on ata, newsbin and downloads go on sata and
    dvd there too. then some games on sata, but more then likely only a couple
    games. if i need more storage I'll cut files and paste them to the ata to
    store them.

    i will tho just to see how fast the install goes and boot time, install win
    xp onto the sata 10k rpm drive. as a test. :)

    Diehard, Jan 6, 2004
  5. Diehard

    Night_Seer Guest

    Yeah that would be even faster. Honestly, you don't really need to
    download to the SATA, because I don't think the fastest DSL or cable
    will bog down the ATA drive...but games will load a little faster.

    Night_Seer, Jan 6, 2004
  6. Diehard

    Night_Seer Guest

    They have a 76 GB 10,000 RPM SATA drive out now, but its probably a bit
    late for that now. I would like to see your results of a test. Maybe
    do a totally clean install, with no programs or backround stuff, and
    test the two start-up times.

    Night_Seer, Jan 6, 2004
  7. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    Well no, i don't mean to download to the oh you know what? :) Ok, what i was
    going to say is i wouldn't download to the sata just to make it faster, but
    cus the data would be there on the 10k rpm drive to use par, par2 and winrar
    to extract the data much faster then if the data was on the ata133 drive.
    BUT, what i can do is put games and newsbin on the SATA then have newsbin
    set to download on the ata133 and then transfer to sata the stuff i
    download, so the extraction would go faster cus it's running 10k rpm speed.

    Diehard, Jan 6, 2004
  8. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    Where is a 76gb sata 10k rpm drive?
    but yes, I'll do a test like this.
    I'll install win xp on the ata133 and then sata and see how long it takes.
    however one limiting factor is the sony 510 dvdrw drive only has a 32x cdrom
    speed. Then see the differences with boot times. Then I'll maybe just use it
    as sata boot and programs on it after the first testing. see how it works.
    then I'll swap and do ata133 7200 rpm as boot and OS drive. programs on it.
    etc. and see. and then test using newsbin and data on sata to see extraction
    etc.

    also someone told me they would put the OS on ata133 and page file and
    newsbin and data on sata. sound good?

    Diehard, Jan 6, 2004
  9. Diehard

    Night_Seer Guest

    Ah yes...you are correct, sorry, extraction would be much better on the
    SATA.

    Night_Seer, Jan 7, 2004
  10. Diehard

    Night_Seer Guest

    I do have my pagefile on a seperate drive, but its not totally
    necessary. I use a seperate partition at the front of another drive to
    make quick access to it, and let it work even when the main OS drive is
    working. But unless you have low memeory, or work in Photoshop (as I
    do) or something, it wouldn't make a huge difference.

    As for that drive, here it is:

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...-144-160&catalog=14&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1

    Night_Seer, Jan 7, 2004
  11. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    ok cool i just ordered it and when my 36gb comes, i will return to newegg
    for refund. un opened. then I'll have this 74gb 10krpm sata drive plus the
    ata133 120gb drive i got from my work, best buy.

    Diehard, Jan 7, 2004
  12. Diehard

    Night_Seer Guest

    Excellent, I thought you had already opened it and was working with it.
    Well I'm glad I could help with that. Don't we all love newegg!

    Night_Seer, Jan 7, 2004
  13. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    Yeah I like newegg, but don't love it cus the prices for a lot of stuff aint
    really that much less then locally. Like the Sony 510 burner they have that
    I got is $159, but locally it's like in best buy only $170 or so.

    No, I am still waiting for the parts from newegg who screwed up by being
    late in shipping my order. So my main parts won't be here till Thursday at
    the soonest, but with the snow today and yesterday maybe that's just as well
    since Fed Ex never showed up yesterday or today.

    but I just ordered the 74gb 10k rpm drive you mentioned. I dids Fed ex 2 day
    and rush shipping to try to get it here the day after my other parts show up
    hopefully on Thursday, and the new hard drive might be the next day I hope.

    Anyway when I do get the parts, I'm going to hopefuly love the 10k rpm
    speed. It's just hard for me cus I want everything on the 10k rpm drive. But
    having the bigger drive will help a lot I think.

    Diehard, Jan 7, 2004
  14. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    For apps to run faster like the win rar and par etc, even dvdshrink,
    wouldn't I want to put those on the 10k rpm drive too? Or is it really only
    about the data and the app won't be doing much? I'd think they are doing a
    lot, not just the data.

    By the way, my pc parts list is here on newegg, so you know what I got for
    my father and myself.
    http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishHistoryReview.asp?position=HISTORY&submit=VIEW&ID=540518

    I am refusing the case cus I got the Antec Sonata case and I am refusing the
    video card cus I've heard nothing, but bad things about Powercolor. So I got
    a BFG GF 5700 Ultra 128mb 8x AGP instead. Which I'm using now in my own pc
    for testing. Also I'm refusing the hard drive cus I just ordered that 74gb
    sata 150 10k rpm you mentioned. And I have bought from Best buy where I
    work, the Maxtor ata133 120gb 8mb cache drive sunday cus of a rebate.
    Hopefully the parts will be here tomorrow or Thursday at the latest, then
    the 74gb drive Friday.

    Diehard, Jan 7, 2004
  15. Diehard

    Night_Seer Guest

    Well with your new bigger drive, it might be best to just partition
    the sucker for windows and apps, and then another for data. Then leave
    the other drive as a sort of data backup...depends on how many programs,
    and how much data you have. I used that Sonata case on my dad's new
    Christmas computer...its really nice. As for the price thing yeah new
    egg doesn't always have the BEST prices, but I think the service makes
    up for that.

    Night_Seer, Jan 7, 2004
  16. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    Why would I want to partition it when that will loose me space and what good
    would it do?

    Diehard, Jan 7, 2004
  17. Diehard

    Night_Seer Guest

    The only real reson is to keep your data seperate from your OS and
    apps. That way if you have to reinstall windows and wipe that
    partition, then you won't lose the data, but then again you have a whole
    other 120GB hard drive, so it might not be necessary.

    Night_Seer, Jan 7, 2004
  18. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    With SATA how do you install it? like boot from it? my motherboard has IDE
    1,2,3 and ata133, SATA 1,2,3,4 connnectors on it, so lots of options, lol.
    would i just hoot up to like SATA 1 and then install windows on that? the
    manual doesn't even tell you how to install to boot up and stuff, only what
    connectors are for what interface. all it talks about is raid crap.

    Diehard, Jan 8, 2004
  19. Diehard

    Night_Seer Guest

    Your motherboard should either have a floppy for the SATA drivers,
    or else a way to make a floppy for it. Not sure where it would be if it
    has a program to make floppies, but i'd check under drivers of the CD
    rom that came with your motherboard (I would think the CD-ROM autostart
    for your motherboard would have an option to make driver floppies). Now
    when you start windows set-up when booting from the Windows CD, at some
    point there will be a note that says hit F6 to install 3rd party SCSI
    devices. Hit F6...then when it asks, put in the floppy with the drivers
    and load them up. Now when you go to format and install, it should show
    up as another drive you can use. Works the same with a RAID set-up, but
    you must set up the RAID array first from the RAID's BIOS.

    Night_Seer, Jan 8, 2004
  20. Diehard

    Night_Seer Guest

    Also make sure SATA is enabled in the MB's BIOS.

    Night_Seer, Jan 8, 2004