  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    NX10. By quite a large margin. $699 with an 18-55mm kit lens.

    RichA, Jan 16, 2010

  2. RichA

    Save $3.99 Guest

    Well it is a Samsung, not a Panasonic, Olympus or LeicaSonic

    Save $3.99, Jan 16, 2010

  3. David J Taylor, Jan 16, 2010
  4. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Jan 16, 2010
  5. You really should get that oiled, Rich.

    You want wider than 18mm, longer than 200mm? You want fixed focal length
    lenses? You want image stabilisation? You want an optical finder? Then
    the NX10 is not for you today.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 16, 2010
  6. RichA

    Paul Furman Guest

    I'm tempted by the Panasonic GF1 although it lacks a decent viewfinder
    and stabilization (except some lenses) just because it's small & seems
    easy to use with good AF & controls and that 20mm f/1.7 pancake lens.
    The price sucks though.

    BTW here's what a 45mm Ai-P pancake looks like with adapter on a GF1:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/winginging/craigslist 2010/IMG_6053.jpg
    Kind of silly, but interesting how much difference in the mount. It
    could be handy with a longer lens kept in your pocket like a 75-150
    Series E would be darn near like a 300mm f/2.8, or a 105 macro lens,
    50mm fast prime, etc.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Jan 16, 2010
  7. []
    I've wanted to look through that camera for some time - strange how all
    the times I've tried there has never been a battery in the demo camera! I
    do feel that stabilisation is a must, and the lack of it in the NX10 is a
    deal-breaker.
    Yes, rather silly! If I want something compact, I take my Panasonic TZ3
    (and have to compromise on ISO).

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 16, 2010
  8. RichA

    Paul Furman Guest

    The add-on EVF is supposed to be just sort of adequate and costs another
    $200, which is probably a deal breaker for me. You'd think they could
    make a simple optical range finder clip on for the 20mm lens.

    Not really a deal breaker for me.
    No stabilizer in the lenses either?
    I wouldn't even bother getting the stabilized kit lens for the GF1 and
    the un-stabilized 20/1.7 wouldn't really need it.

    The Oly m4/3 is supposed to not handle very well.

    The Samsung 30mm f/2 sounds reasonably useful.

    My only compact is a 10 year old Oly 3MP as big as these.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Jan 16, 2010
  9. I saw no mention of lens-based stabilisation, no.

    If you're into just wide-angle, image stabilisation is certainly less of
    an issue, but even so it can extend your taking speeds down to 1/8s or
    1/4s with wide-angle lenses, which can be useful for interiors without a
    tripod. Not so good if your subject is moving, of course, except for
    special effects.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 17, 2010
  10. []
    I'm not sure they have a lot of time, to be honest.

    When I last looked, Olympus lenses were rather expensive, and yet lacked
    image stabilisation, even in the telephotos.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 17, 2010
  11. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Better, eh?

    On what basis are they "better"?

    Bruce, Jan 17, 2010
  12. Olympus do the image stabilisation in the camera, not the lens.

    Chris Malcolm, Jan 17, 2010
  13. I don't know a lot about different Oly dslr models, but the E-620 has
    sensor shift IS. I understand sensor-shift is not as effective as lens
    based, but on the other hand it makes for lighter lenses and allows you
    to achieve IS with adapter mounted lenses ... (point of special interest
    to me).

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jan 17, 2010
  14. Thanks, Chris. If the Olympus lenses don't even have IS, there's less
    excuse for them being so expensive. There is no IS in the Samsung NX10,
    either lens or camera. I think they will need that before being taken
    even half-seriously.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 17, 2010
  15. []
    Thanks, Peter. If you have particular needs, that obviously influences
    what you buy.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 17, 2010
  16. []
    You haven't used a long telephoto lens hand-held with in-lens IS, have
    you?

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 17, 2010
  17. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 16:53:49 GMT, "David J Taylor"

    I agree. It is a pity that Samsung had not extended its co-operation
    with Pentax beyond DSLRs to include the NX series. Samsung would
    then have had access to Pentax' in-body stabilisation technology for
    the NX10.

    Instead, the relationship was terminated altogether, leaving Pentax in
    a fairly desperate state. And Samsung without stabilisation.

    Bruce, Jan 17, 2010
  18. Also IS isn't a fixed technology. It keeps improving. So if you want
    the extra stop or so of extra IS that's just been developed you either
    have to buy a new set of lenses, or just a new body, which you were
    probably going to buy anyway. If your lenses are full of
    electromechanical technology they're goiong to age a lot faster.

    Chris Malcolm, Jan 17, 2010
  19. It doesn't have it all. It doesn't have MLU! :)

    But it does have two excellent new features you didn't mention. The
    first is a big bright LCD with adaptive brightness which can easily be
    seen in weak sunlight. (The strong sunlight test is still a few months
    away in these northern latitudes :)

    The second is that in addition to the secondary sensor live view which
    gives you fast AF with live view, you can also switch with one button
    press to image sensor live view with magnification up to pixel level
    all over the image. Makes critical manual focusing to the millimetre
    so easy it's a delight to use!

    Chris Malcolm, Jan 17, 2010
  20. I certainly haven't, but given all the rumours about how badly
    in-camera IS performs with long lenses I was pleasantly surprised to
    discover how well it worked with my 500mm.

    Chris Malcolm, Jan 17, 2010