Samsung to play safe with dual HD DVD/Blu-ray DVD Player.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Allan, Sep 6, 2005.

  1. Allan

    Allan Guest

    Samsung to play safe with dual HD DVD/Blu-ray rig

    Published Tuesday 6th September 2005 15:09 GMT

    Samsung is to harness consumer confusion over which next-generation
    optical disc standard to back by offering a player that supports both
    HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc (BD).

    The machine will launch sometime next year, said Choi Gee-Sung,
    Samsung's consumer electronics chief, in an interview published by the
    Financial Times Deutschland.

    "We would welcome a unified standard but if this doesn't come, which
    looks likely, we'll bring a unified solution to market," he said.

    "It won't be simple but you'll see our solution in the coming year.
    Consumers will be too confused otherwise," he added.

    With talks held between the two camps to find common ground in order
    to yield a unified format having broken down, consumers much now
    choose which format to support. Backing the wrong format could leave
    buyers with access to less content and, over time, more expensive
    hardware. That risk may persuade them simply to ignore both formats
    until a clear winner emerges.

    Dual-play machines could break the deadlock. Both BD and HD DVD use
    blue laser light to increase the storage capacity of a DVD-sized
    optical disc dramatically. However, the two formats have very
    different capacities, optical specifications and file structures.
    Samsung's machine is likely to require at least two different read
    heads for the blue-laser discs, not to mention another, red
    laser-based head to read today's DVDs and CDs.

    To date, Samsung has favoured BD over HD DVD, but today's statement
    suggest it doesn't believe its favoured format will quickly establish
    a clear lead over HD DVD.

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/06/samsung_hdvd_bluray_player/

    Well so much for that being "impossible".

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Sep 6, 2005

  2. Allan

    Allan Guest

    Allan, Sep 6, 2005

  3. Allan

    Tarkus Guest

    Apparently, they haven't met Alpha, or they'd know that's impossible.
    --
    "There were these two fellars standin' on a bridge, a-goin' to the
    bathroom. One fellar said, 'The water's cold' and the other fellar said,

    Now playing: the radio.

    Tarkus, Sep 6, 2005
  4. Allan

    3W Guest

    But that's impossible!

    -Alpha

    3W, Sep 6, 2005
  5. Allan

    Goro Guest

    *snip*

    i want an announcement that says the player won't require an internet
    connection... :)

    -goro-

    Goro, Sep 6, 2005
  6. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    If you read my whole series of notes on this, the caveat was using a
    multi-laser drive system. Sure you can do that...at big cost. We will see
    what the coy announcement says is Samsung's solution...they won't even
    indicate what it is. The article itself mentions the difficulties involved.

    Alpha, Sep 6, 2005
  7. Allan

    Tarkus Guest

    I believe you also said it would require a completely different drive
    mechanism. And didn't you also say there would be licensing issues?

    Regarding cost, Samsung's stuff is generally competitively priced, so I
    doubt if it will be THAT much more than a single format player from their
    competitors.
    Why would they give out this info to their competitors?
    And as many of us have tried to beat into your head, these companies make
    a living off of solving difficulties. Big deal.

    Tarkus, Sep 7, 2005
  8. No I was the one who said there would be licensing issues, maybe not..
    However I see no reaosn why a properly-designed pickup couldn't handle
    both Blu-ray and HD-tv, and it should be quite possible to have two
    source LEDs for the laser, red and blue.

    ... Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Sep 7, 2005
  9. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    The article suggests three lasers are required.

    Alpha, Sep 7, 2005
  10. Yes that's what the article says, Im saying I don't think that would
    be necessary. DVDs are more different from CDs in track density and
    pit size than the difference between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, and one laser
    is used; and track focus depth just isn't something that requires
    different laser assemblies. The wavelength difference between Blue
    and Red can be provided with two source lasers using one lens unit.
    The requirment of reading both DVDs and HD formats is what would add
    to the cost and complexity.

    ... Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Sep 7, 2005
  11. Allan

    Sammy Guest

    Haven't you read Samsung's latest press release? They intend to become a
    top tier company. And that means top tier pricing.

    Sammy, Sep 7, 2005
  12. Allan

    Tarkus Guest

    Perhaps, but others will come out with their own dual format players.

    Tarkus, Sep 7, 2005
  13. Allan

    Allan Guest

    Like this Press Release from today?

    "Samsung lowers its sights

    Samsung president Lee Ki-tae has indicated that the South Korean
    vendor will turn its attention to low-end handsets, an area that it
    has traditionally steered clear of."

    http://www.ovum.com/news/euronews.asp?id=3129

    or

    "David Steel, vice president marketing at Samsung's Consumer
    Electronics Unit, told Reuters although Samsung was the world's No. 20
    brand in 2005, taking over the position of Japanese rival Sony Corp,
    which fell to No. 28, according to Interbrand the company feels it
    does not yet have an exclusive place in a consumer's heart."

    http://www.smartofficenews.com.au/B...icle=/Business And Finance/News/News/J3P6H4N7

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Sep 7, 2005
  14. Allan

    Sammy Guest

    Well, it sounds like Samsung want to be both a top tier and bottom tier
    company. No reason they can't do both, it there?

    Sammy, Sep 9, 2005
  15. Allan

    Sammy Guest

    Probably so. But I now believe that by the time these companies come out
    with dual format players, it will be too late. The format war will make
    high definition DVDs stillborn. If the dual format players appeared the
    same day high def DVDs premiered, it might have a chance. But mid or
    late 2006 will be too late. Hollywood really blew it by not backing a
    single format.

    Sammy, Sep 9, 2005
  16. Allan

    AZ Nomad Guest

    Yeah, just like CDs never caught on becaue players where originaly over a
    thousand dollars and still over $500 two years later.

    Oh, wait a minute; that didn't happen. Just like how in 2010 nobody will care
    that dual format players didn't appear until late 2006.

    AZ Nomad, Sep 9, 2005
  17. Allan

    Nonymous Guest

    "too late" for what?

    Nonymous, Sep 9, 2005
  18. Allan

    Allan Guest

    Like that crazy +R / -R confusion really slowed Recordable DVD down?

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Sep 9, 2005
  19. Allan

    Sammy Guest

    Huh? Are you as stupid as comrade trotsky? Take a remedial reading
    course. Read what I said. Did I ever refer to cost as an issue? My
    comments did not mention cost and had nothing to do with cost. Did you
    read this and compose your response while on a delayed delusional acid
    trip. I'd try to explain my point to you, but why waste time talking to
    an airhead?

    Sammy, Sep 9, 2005
  20. Allan

    Sammy Guest

    Too late for you to understand what's being discussed.

    Sammy, Sep 9, 2005