    If I'm going to pay upwards of a thousand dollars over the next year for HDTV
    media, I'm going to want more of a choice than a toy game console with a crap
    drive or the two unproven >$900 players on the market.

    AZ Nomad, Jun 22, 2006

  2. Tarkus

    Jay G. Guest

    Again, do you have any actual facts about the PS3's drive, or are you still
    just making baseless accusations?
    Name them.

    I found a review of the PS2 done at the time of it's launch, and the lowest
    price it mentions for a standalone DVD player is $179 for a "no-name"
    player of the type that frequently had way more problems than any PS2:

    http://www.gamesfirst.com/articles/jeremyk/ps2dvd/ps2dvd.htm
    "So, as I was standing in line at 6:00 a.m., waiting for Big K to
    open and deliver me my PS2 booty, the hot topic amongst the fellow
    first-come-first-servers was DVD. None of us doubted the PS2 game
    system would be hot, but for many people DVD playback was what
    brought them out to brave hypothermia, and risk social rejection
    for years to come."

    The PS2 was originally $299, or around $50 more than a standalone Sony DV
    player at the time.
    There's currently 8 Blu-Ray players announced or released. In comparison,
    HD DVD has only the 2 Toshibas.

    http://www.thedvdwars.com/index.cfm

    -Jay

    Jay G., Jun 22, 2006

  3. Was Sony Beta better or beat-ta? Well Blu-Ray is Blew Ray a shot laser. So
    unreliability is a possibility
    so it might not be too sunny for Sony. Ha ha.

    Philip Heggie, Jul 18, 2006