Samsung Not Committed To Dual Format Blu-Ray / HD-DVD Player.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Allan, Oct 17, 2005.

  1. Allan

    Allan Guest

    Despite earlier suggestions that Samsung was developing a dual format
    next generation DVD player, it seems they are less than committed to
    the idea and still favour Blu-Ray over HD-DVD.

    In an interview with Engadget David Steel, Vice President of Marketing
    for Samsung Electronics’ Digital Media Business, revealed that the
    consumer electronics giant is not entirely comforatble with the idea
    of supporting both formats.

    "It’s going to drive up the complexity and the cost, because then you
    need different heads to be able to read each disc," says Steel. "After
    a point it becomes cost prohibitive."

    "I wouldn’t say we’re committed to [a dual format player]," he
    continues. "We really have from the outset been hopeful that one
    standard, Blu-ray, will become the standard."

    So Samsung nails its colours to the mast and admits that the
    flirtation with HD-DVD is a little frivalous. If any sign of weakness
    emerges in the commercial potential for the format they will ditch
    plans to support it.

    More bad news for HD-DVD.

    http://www.dvdrecorderworld.com/news/288

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Oct 17, 2005

  2. Allan

    Tarkus Guest

    Yeah, I think what they're seeing now is that it's no longer a close
    fight, so there's little reason to invest in dual format technology.
    When it was closer to 50-50 it made a lot more sense.

    Tarkus, Oct 17, 2005

  3. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    This is just as was it was with betamax....and betamax lost.

    Alpha, Oct 18, 2005
  4. Allan

    Tarkus Guest

    I don't recall Betamax ever having a significant advantage in studio
    support.
    --
    "Good evening, I'm Leonard Nimoy. The following tale of alien
    encounters is true. And by true I mean false. It's all lies. But

    Now playing: "Van der Graaf Generator - The Undercover Man"

    Tarkus, Oct 18, 2005
  5. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    You recall wrong. It is still used.

    Alpha, Oct 18, 2005
  6. Allan

    Allan Guest

    Betamax is still used?

    Not confusing it with the Professional Betacam are we?

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Oct 18, 2005
  7. Allan

    Tarkus Guest

    I'm talking about studio support for movie releases.

    But you already knew that, didn't you?

    Tarkus, Oct 18, 2005
  8. Allan

    Allan Guest