    So it's the Samsung Galaxy Camera, the Sony NEX5 I'm looking at currently
    in this price range.

    Any other suggestions/thoughts?

    Sandman, Jul 5, 2013

  2. Sandman

    dj_nme Guest

    What about a Pentax Q7?
    It's really tiny: some promo photos of it show it attached to some-ones
    keychain along with the rest of their keys.
    The Pentax website has that colour choosing thing and it seem to cost
    about USD $500 with a kit-lens.
    The Samsung Galaxy Camera looked intriguing to me, until it was pointed
    out that it wasn't actually a phone with a huge camera module, but a
    just a camera running Android OS with WiFi networking built in.

    dj_nme, Jul 6, 2013

  3. Sandman

    MC Guest

    I always thought of it as a "lady's" camera, to put in the handbag.
    However, this then makes it pointless because they already have
    one...their phone.
    The Samsung Galaxy camera certainly does not sit between your P&S and
    your wife's Nikon D80. It sits somewhere between your wife's mobile
    phone and your P&S.

    MC

    MC, Jul 6, 2013
  4. Sandman

    J. Clarke Guest

    There are four Galaxy cameras. Three of them connect to the cell
    network--add Skype and they're phones. One of them is an
    interchangeable-lens mirrorless. Where they sit depends on which model.

    J. Clarke, Jul 6, 2013
  5. Sandman

    Paul Ciszek Guest

    The first Samsung Galaxy Camera I got a hit on was a 1/2.3" compact
    superzoom with a lot of computing ability and too many megapixels on
    the sensor. You could probably do better optically with a Lumix FZ150
    or FZ200; the latter boasts a constant f/2.8 aperture across its zoom
    range.

    The more advanced Samsung Galaxy is a MILC. There are more lenses
    available for the micro four thirds system that for any one of the
    brands of MILC that do not share their standard.

    Paul Ciszek, Jul 10, 2013
  6. Sandman

    RichA Guest

    Trouble is, the build quality of the Q10 and 7 are marked step down from the original Q. Despite the sensor's possible improvement.

    RichA, Jul 10, 2013
  7. Sandman

    J. Clarke Guest

    It's actually kind of surprising how well micro 4/3 is doing in that
    regard--B&H lists 101 lenses for that system, including 4/3 lenses that
    work with full function with an adapter.

    However they list more than 200 that work with the EOS-M mount, most of
    them regular EOS lenses that work with full function with an adapter.
    The Canon M body though seems to be a bit of a dog in its current form.

    J. Clarke, Jul 10, 2013