    DVD's on in my workshop. It used to play all zones but just
    recently refused to play anything apart from Zone 4.
    What can I do to set it to all zone?

    Yeah Right, Feb 7, 2008

  2. With officially-sanctioned players, this is not possible without
    unauthorized firmware hacks.

    Have you tried a different player, like VLC?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 7, 2008

  3. Yeah Right

    Richard Guest

    Yeah, but remember the aussie competition watchdog ruled them as bad,
    what was the outcome of that with the protection on the hardware drives.

    It doesnt seem to bother dvdfab decrypter so I have never even set it on
    my drive here.

    Richard, Feb 7, 2008
  4. Yeah Right

    Yeah Right Guest

    I found some firmware hacks but it does warn that they can go
    wrong and ruin your drive.
    It's just that my Captain Scarlet DVD's are region 2 and the damn
    player only plays region 4. I'm using Power DVD 5 if that makes
    any difference. I had a damn good look at the program but
    couldn't see anything obvious. It must be of a lower level than
    that.
    No, I'll look for it.

    Yeah Right, Feb 7, 2008
  5. Yeah Right

    SlowLearner Guest

    SlowLearner, Feb 8, 2008
  6. Yeah Right

    Richard Guest

    What about if you install software like dvd region-x or rip the movies
    with dvdfab decrypter?

    Richard, Feb 8, 2008
  7. Violates laws against circumventing copy-protection mechanisms.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 8, 2008
  8. Yeah Right

    Richard Guest

    So what? Has anyone being charged with using these products despite
    their use being well known?

    Richard, Feb 8, 2008
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 8, 2008
  10. Yeah Right

    noone Guest

    Find a Firmware Patch for it..

    noone, Feb 8, 2008
  11. Yeah Right

    Lodi Guest

    Excellent post SL. I had the same rude introduction to Matsushita DVD
    units last year-ish when asked to do a region re-set for a friends
    laptop. There is no work-around, hardware or software.

    I eventually ended up swapping the Matsushita DVD player with the DVD
    player in my own laptop (can't remember the make/model). Fortunately for
    my friend I never watch DVD's on my laptop so it was no loss to me.

    I'm currently looking for a new laptop for another friend and knowing the
    make/model of the DVD unit is a priority. No rpc2 firmware fix = no
    purchase. Once bitten twice shy.

    Regards
    Lodi

    Lodi, Feb 8, 2008
  12. Unfortunately the DVD drive makers are contractually bound not to offer that
    kind of thing.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 8, 2008
  13. Yeah Right

    Lodi Guest

    Perhaps I should have said

    "No rpc2 firmware fix at....

    http://forum.rpc1.org/index.php

    ..... = no purchase"

    Lodi

    Lodi, Feb 8, 2008
  14. Yeah Right

    Richard Guest

    Richard, Feb 8, 2008
  15. Yeah Right

    Richard Guest

    Yes, but they are also bound by NZ law which has fit for purpose clauses
    in the consumers guarantees act.

    If I actually cared enough about region protected movies I would look
    into it, but thankfully its not an issue where I watch my movies ;)

    Richard, Feb 8, 2008
  16. Yeah Right

    SlowLearner Guest

    SlowLearner, Feb 8, 2008
  17. Caught between US patent and DMCA law on one side, and NZ consumer law on
    the other.

    Very hard to decide which one will prevail, isn't it...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 8, 2008
  18. Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 8, 2008
  19. Yeah Right

    Richard Guest

    How is a page on EFF's complaints about the DMCA relevent to the topic
    at hand, which is an NZ resident wanting to play legally imported
    foreign DVD's on a locally purchased computer that claims it will play
    DVD's. US-DMCA isn't relevent, NZ law is.

    Its the norm that hardware players are region free in NZ and Australia.
    If the PC makers are going to deviate from the norm they need to
    properly inform customers pre-purchase that the DVD drive in the
    computer is not fit for use in NZ where the norm is to have no such

    Richard, Feb 8, 2008
  20. Yeah Right

    Nighthawk Guest

    I don't think I have ever come across anyone so strongly on the side
    of the 'law', acting like a watchdog for the authorities, (though I
    don't believe there is actually a connection) even when it screws us
    over, whether it be improving/tweaking Windows or trying to get around
    the ridiculous region system for DVDs that does us in Region 4 NO
    FAVOURS.

    Amongst my DVD collection, all bought locally, apart from Region 4, I
    also have Region 1 & 2 DVDs.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro must have a serious problem with all the
    region-free DVD players one can buy in any appliance shop.

    Nighthawk, Feb 8, 2008