Samsung comes out with dual format HD optical disc player

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by kimhalljp, Jun 29, 2007.

  1. kimhalljp

    kimhalljp Guest

    kimhalljp, Jun 29, 2007

  2. And when they announced this back in April (as dated on the article), I
    remember thinking, "Cool!...Now I can go Blu-Ray and STILL watch those
    HD disks!"

    Derek Janssen (hopes/priorities may be subject to change by fall '07)

    Derek Janssen, Jun 29, 2007

  3. kimhalljp

    Jay G. Guest

    Surely you meant "still watch those HD DVDs," since BDs are HD discs as
    well. ;)

    -Jay

    Jay G., Jun 30, 2007
  4. Er, yes, meant, "Wow, now I won't have to worry about all those
    competing HD-DVD titles that'll be coming out over the next few years!",
    and, uh.... 6_6

    Derek Janssen (well, guess I can relax that worry)

    Derek Janssen, Jun 30, 2007
  5. kimhalljp

    elrous0 Guest

    The problem with these "dual format" players is that, so far, all the
    ones released or announced have cost way more than just buying
    separate players. For the price of one of the LG dual format players,
    you could buy a PS3 and Xbox 360 with HD-DVD add-on and not only have
    two players, but also two next-gen videogame systems.

    By the time this Samsung model comes out, HD-DVD players with be down
    to $300 and Blu-ray players at $450. So what use will it be if it
    debuts at $1000?!?!

    -Eric

    elrous0, Jul 3, 2007

  6. I have read that the LG BH100 (a so-called "dual format" player) has full
    Blu-ray play capabilities, but lacks full HD feature implementation, such as
    having no interactive HD DVD content menus.

    It doesn't make sense to pay a third more for a combo player with crippled
    playback capabilities.

    Does the "dual-format" Samsung player have compromised Blu-ray and/or HD DVD
    playback?

    One Shot Scot, Jul 4, 2007
  7. kimhalljp

    GMAN Guest

    The LG unit was primarily marketed towards those who have bought a few HD
    titles but wanted to go blue ray and not loose out on playing the few HD-DVD
    titles they own.

    GMAN, Jul 4, 2007
  8. Use a little common sense. Do you actually think they would put
    themselves through the same thing LG went through over non-compliance?

    Spurious Response, Jul 4, 2007

  9. Pure bullshit speculation. They wanted to market a dual mode player,
    period. You can bet any future model they make will carry a fully
    compliant HD DVD capacity.

    Spurious Response, Jul 4, 2007
  10. kimhalljp

    Jay G. Guest

    Well, at the moment, it's only speculation that Samsung's player will cost
    either more than or the same as buying two separate players.

    However, even if it does, there are at least a few customers for whom
    having the functionality of both formats in one player outstrips the cost.
    Eventually, the cost of the dual-format players will drop in price until
    they are comparatively speaking not much more than a single-format player
    until, as with most PC DVD burners these days and the DVD-R and DVD+R
    formats, it doesn't make sense to make hardware that's *not* dual-format.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Jul 5, 2007
  11. kimhalljp

    Jay G. Guest

    From the original article:
    "Samsung¬Ęs Duo HD player (BD-UP5000) will fully support both HD-DVD and
    Blu-ray Disc formats and their interactive technologies, HDi and BD-Java."

    -Jay

    Jay G., Jul 5, 2007
  12. kimhalljp

    GMAN Guest

    Arrogant little ass!

    GMAN, Jul 7, 2007
  13.
    Spurious Response, Jul 8, 2007
  14. kimhalljp

    GMAN Guest

    Asshole

    You are the one who pretends to be some kind of expert and puts anyone else
    down who disagrees with you.

    GMAN, Jul 9, 2007