samlib.dll / Export-NTDLL.DLL-RtlFreeUnicodeString

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Some1, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. Some1

    Some1 Guest

    Hi,

    Operating system is W98SE as provided by Compaq, computer is Compaq
    Presario 1200 mod 12XL201. Language of OS is Spanish.

    I've recently (today) restored the system from the original Compaq
    Restore CD's. I've updated Windows and IE from MS website.

    After installing some software (Diskeeper light, Spywareblaster, Spybot
    Search & Destroy, AdAware, AVG antivirus, Qkwik-Fix, MSN Messenger,
    Yahoo Messenger, Acrobat Reader, EnterNet PPPoE, Linksys driver for
    USB100TX adapter) I found the error "The file SAMLIB.DLL is connected
    with the missing one Export-NTDLL.DLL-RtlFreeUnicodeString" but the
    samlib.dll and ntdll.dll are in the windows/system directory. I know
    that the samlib.dll file is not the original one, because I had to
    download it from the web.

    I would like to know how to avoid this problem or where to download the
    proper version of these *.dll's .

    Thank you for your time.

    Some1, Apr 1, 2004

  2. Some1

    Some1 Guest

    Correction: The *exact* error message is "El archivo SAMLIB.DLL está
    vinculado a un NTDLL.DLL:RtFreeUnicodeString de exportación que no
    existe" in the original OS language.
    I've found this "Error al iniciar el programa" again while trying to set
    up a dial-up account. The Error window stays visible until I ckick the
    ACEPTAR (OK) button for the third time.

    Please give me some clues on how to overcome this problem.

    Thank you!

    Some1, Apr 1, 2004

  3. Some1

    °Mike° Guest

    You have NTDLL.DLL installed on a Windows98 machine?
    That is an NT Layer dll. The error message is telling
    you that the two files (ntdll.dll and samlib.dll) are mis-matched.
    Samlib.dll is most likely the wrong version. Reinstall the
    software that placed it on the system.

    °Mike°, Apr 1, 2004
  4. Some1

    Some1 Guest

    Thank you for your advise. The problem is I do not know which of the
    software packages did that. I've been trying to find the samlib.dll that
    came with the OS, but I couldn't.
    I've already unloaded Diskeeper Light and EnterNet PPPoE and trying to
    see if the problem appears again.

    Regards,

    Some1.

    Some1, Apr 1, 2004
  5. Some1

    °Mike° Guest

    Samlib.dll does not come with the 98SE OS. It must have been
    installed by an upgrade, or third-party software. Ntdll.dll can be
    found in the cabinet file Win98_38.cab .

    °Mike°, Apr 1, 2004
  6. Some1

    Some1 Guest

    So, if I delete or rename somelib.dll, the only program that will be
    affected will be the guilty one?Some1.

    Some1, Apr 1, 2004
  7. sorry

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=B0Mike=B0=22?=, Apr 1, 2004
  8. Some1

    °Mike° Guest

    No, not necessarily, since you don't know what installed it.

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Apr 1, 2004
  9. Some1

    Some1 Guest

    I've found samlib.dl_ in the folder D:\I386 (the system save partition
    of the Compaq). Once expanded, it does not match with the version of
    Ntdll.dll found on my system.

    I've Restored the system again from scratch. I've installed every single
    update or piece of software one by one, noting no changes to these
    dll's.

    I've found that the origin of the problem begun while uninstalling
    EnterNet PPPoE in order to set up the dial up account.
    That gave me a problem related to "A Required .DLL file, MPRAPI.DLL, was
    not found." Error, that lead to the samlib and ntdll problem later on.

    Unistalling every single trace of EnterNet from the system made the
    difference. Now I've got no more problems with those dll's in this
    system.

    Hope this experience helps someone else.

    Some1, Apr 2, 2004