    In that case would it be reasonable to assume that the image quality is
    close enough to be about the same and the difference in the cameras is
    mostly about features and size?

    measekite, Nov 22, 2008

  2. Image quality will be fairly close between them given same sensor-size and pixel
    count. But you have to also consider the optics. If the optics for each camera
    are different then this too will effect the image quality. If two different
    models of cameras from the same company, made within a year or so of each other,
    both have lenses with the same aperture range (f/stops) and focal lengths, you
    can feel pretty safe that they are using the same lens on both cameras. Then the
    image quality will be identical if they also both have the same sensor. The only
    difference then will be the features and body size.

    To be completely certain check several reviews online after you have narrowed
    down your choices (usually based on features) even more. They publish resolution
    and image tests with samples. You can then be certain which one of any two have
    the highest quality that you will be happy with.

    Dylan Stonner, Nov 22, 2008

  3. measekite

    J. Clarke Guest

    You're talking about a range from 7 to 15 megapixels. Hardly "about
    the same".

    J. Clarke, Nov 22, 2008
  4. measekite

    jmeehan Guest

    And different software, in camera and post camera.

    There are lots of factors so it may be best to find test results and
    even better do your own test with subjects similar to the ones you
    intend to use the camera for.

    jmeehan, Nov 22, 2008
  5. measekite

    Steve Guest

    It's true that if you just specify "Digital Elf" and "A Series", that
    covers a wide range of pixel counts and densities. My Digital Elf is
    a 4MP on a 1/1.8" sensor (10.5MP/(cm*cm)) and my A series is 7.1MP on
    a 1/2.5" sensor (28.6MP/(cm*cm)). The G10 and S5 IS are 34 and 32
    MP/(cm*cm).

    But I think he meant just to consider the cameras in those series
    where the pixel count and density is about the same as the S5 IS and
    the G10. i.e., in the 32 to 34 MP/(cm*cm) range for 8-10MP. Several
    of the current models are in there.

    Steve

    Steve, Nov 22, 2008
  6. measekite

    Don Stauffer Guest

    If the chip is from the same mfg using the same process, this would be
    the case. However, two chips of the same size and pixel density made by
    different mfgs or processes could be considerably different as far as
    noise and dynamic range are concerned.

    Of course, the chip is not the only thing determining image quality.
    Different lenses can greatly affect image quality. I am sure that some
    camera mfgs do put better lenses in more expensive models.

    Different processing electronics, and A/Ds can affect it. One would
    assume that much of the electronics in the same series would be very
    similar but no guarantee.

    Don Stauffer, Nov 22, 2008
  7. measekite

    Marty Fremen Guest

    No, because the lens quality is very important too. Inherent noise levels
    will probably be close, but that's about it. Even there the apparent noise
    will depend on the camera's noise reduction processing.

    I have two cameras with the same pixel size (to within 1%: 493 pixels/mm v.
    499 pixels/mm in linear terms) and their images are very different in terms
    of sharpness and colour aberrations. One gives very sharp images, the other
    rather soft ones with chromatic fringing at the corners. It's all down to
    the lens quality. The one with the softer lens also gives smoother more
    noise free images, possibly as a side effect of the blurrier image, though
    it might also be due to heavier noise reduction processing.

    Marty Fremen, Nov 22, 2008