Same old, same old

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Pat, Aug 5, 2009.

  1. Pat

    Pat Guest

    I've been doing a LOT of photography over the last few days and
    haven't read anything in the NGs. But when I came back, it was the
    same old tire threads with the same old people debating the same old
    stuff. There is RichA with his newest article from dpreview. There
    is the dSLR v P&S debate by people who don't know enough about
    photography to understand that you use different equipment for
    different things. There are the RAW v JPG people -- many of whom
    could find the proper exposure if they got hit by the zone system.
    Then there are the Googlers who jump into debates after Googling the
    subject and act like they know what the heck they are talking about.
    Hey people, after 325 posts in a thread, no one is going to win an
    argument -- deal with it.

    Somehow it all reminded me of the old joke about engineering students
    -- how they know 42 ways to have sex but don't know any women.

    I think the same thing about the NGs sometimes. Everyone wants to
    debate everything because no one is out taking pictures.

    So people, Geez, stop the useless and petty debates and go pick up a
    camera.

    Pat, Aug 5, 2009

  2. I have over 250,000 printable images archived on DVDs and earlier CDs. I'm
    on sabbatical. They are for purchase only.

    Now if you'd like to entertain everyone for free with your valuable images,
    go for it!

    When the pretend-photographer roll-playing trolls go find a new newsgroup
    to invade I might be tempted to share some of my expertise with those that
    are genuinely looking for assistance. Until then there's no sense in
    helping the imaginary-life trolls to become better trolls.

    Free Enterainment!, Aug 6, 2009

  3. Pat

    SMS Guest

    <snip>

    A couple of weeks ago I was at a hotel and I read this group on Google
    Groups rather than through my ISP's Usenet service. It's like reading a
    totally different group because the advanced filtering capabilities of
    newsgroup readers allow you to create filters that are based on specific
    header attributes as well as key words. With no posts from our troll, or
    RichA, or ASAAR you'll never see much of the crapola you describe and
    the group can be readable and useful. Google Groups does allow filtering
    by e-mail address, but with our troll switching e-mail addresses with
    almost every post the Google filtering is less than optimal.

    Without filtering Usenet is just about useless, not just for the
    photography newsgroups, but for many other groups as well. It's not just
    the trolls and the lunatics, it's the endless commercial post for
    watches, and other merchandise, and other services.

    SMS, Aug 6, 2009
  4. Pat

    TROLL ALERT Guest

    How endearing, the largest pretend-photographer roll-playing troll of all.
    One of the very ones that have managed to destroy anyone contributing
    anything useful to this newsgroup in ages, telling everyone else how to use
    a newsgroup.

    LOL

    p.s. I get about 2 rolex, et.al., ads about every 2 days, hardly worth the
    need to filter on google-groups anymore, but only trolls would still advise
    that. Further testament to who and what they are.

    TROLL ALERT, Aug 6, 2009
  5. Pat

    Yep Guest

    How true. Only trolls go on endlessly about teaching others how to set up
    their reader's filters. They don't want anyone to read the posts from those
    that have, without a doubt, proved them to be nothing but trolls. Just like
    this resident SMS troll. Typical troll tactics to take over a news-group.
    You'd think they'd come up with some better method. They're not too bright,
    are they.

    Yep, Aug 6, 2009
  6. Pat

    Nicko Guest

    Easy for you to say.

    It's hard for me to pick up a camera when all five of my hands--and
    all five of my senses--are preoccupied with handling my iPod and my
    PDA and my laptop and my cell phone and my penis, while I am driving
    down the street to the liquor store pick up a bottle of 25-year-old La
    Phroaig to mix with my Dr. Pepper.

    These are complicated times!

    ;>)

    Nicko, Aug 6, 2009
  7. Pat

    PatM Guest

    You still use a PDA ?

    PatM, Aug 6, 2009
  8. Pat

    Nicko Guest

    Heh. Cute, but no. It just means that I am a philistine barbarian
    when it comes to tasting fine whisky.

    Nicko, Aug 6, 2009
  9. Pat

    Nicko Guest

    Well, I have been too busy beating off and doing all those other
    things to find the time to upgrade to something with even more
    features that I can't deal with in a competent manner.

    "Dealing with the outside world is hard!"

    I think I read that on a Barbie fan page.

    Or maybe my GF tweeted that to me.

    Nicko, Aug 6, 2009
  10. Pat

    Nicko Guest

    Close!

    Mine is the tricked-out Silver Shadow low rider with the dingleballs
    and fuzzy dice, the purple neon undercarriage light, the "Pisces"
    sticker in the rear window, and the 4x4 curb feelers. Oh, and
    whitewalls and the V-shaped television antenna.

    I ride in style, baybee.

    Nicko, Aug 6, 2009
  11. Pat

    tony cooper Guest

    What kind of roll is he playing? Parker House? Egg? Pumpernickel?

    tony cooper, Aug 6, 2009
  12. Pat

    SMS Guest

    Our troll don't speak no good English!

    SMS, Aug 6, 2009
  13. Pat

    Bob Larter Guest

    ROTFL.

    Bob Larter, Aug 6, 2009
  14. Oh look, SMS is pulling up another one of his many sock-puppets. You'd
    think his elastic would be worn out by now.

    Troll Amplifier, Aug 6, 2009
  15. Pat

    PatM Guest

    If Barbie is so popular, how come you have to pay for her to have
    friends?

    PatM, Aug 6, 2009
  16. Pat

    Bob Larter Guest

    You know that we can tell that you're talking to yourself, Mr P&S troll?

    Bob Larter, Aug 6, 2009
  17. Pat

    Peter Chant Guest

    Indeed, not even for looking at, purchase only!

    ;-)

    Peter Chant, Aug 6, 2009
  18. Beg enough and I might grace you with one of them every few months, like I
    do to entertain the DSLR-Trolls, just as I did earlier this week with an
    old Green Heron photo. Now you have to wait another month. These are not
    even the marketable ones. Useless wannabee usenet trolls aren't worth that.

    Free Entertainment!, Aug 6, 2009
  19. Pat

    Chris H Guest

    So why are you here wasting your time?

    Chris H, Aug 6, 2009
  20. The teacher awaits the student. I will know by the questions they ask.

    You can tell so much more about a person by the questions they ask than any
    statements they will ever make in their lifetime. The rest of you are
    nothing but useless wannabee pretend-photographer trolls. Or more commonly,
    useless snapshooters who bought DSLRs trying to pawn yourselves off as
    photographers, hoping that the DSLR would somehow magically endow you with
    talent and expertise. I've seen no evidence of either from anyone here
    toting a DSLR in their text, nor in their posted examples.

    I bide my time waiting by playing with the useless wannabee trolls.

    Entertainment!, Aug 6, 2009