    digital cameras - I would appreciate yourinput..

    Thanks for your time.
    Miriam Agron

    Miriam Agron, Jul 4, 2006

  2. Miriam Agron

    Rutger Guest

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

    Rutger

    Rutger, Jul 4, 2006

  3. Miriam Agron

    Bill Guest

    That will help get you started.

    Once you narrow your list down to a few models, come back here and ask
    for opinions about the specific models you like, and you can get some
    feedback about how well they work.

    Bill, Jul 4, 2006
  4. Miriam Agron

    Pete D Guest

    Have a play with the Sony H5, the Canon S2 IS and the Panasonic FZ-30, they
    are all good and pick the one that you like the handling of.

    Pete D, Jul 4, 2006
  5. If you need RAW in a 12x stabilized zoom, I think the Panasonic FZ-30 is
    your only choice. If you can live without the stabilizer, add the Fuji
    S9000 to the list.

    If you can live without RAW, there are plenty of models (Canon S3IS,
    Panasonic FZ7, Sony H2, Sony H5, to name a few).

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Jul 4, 2006
  6. Miriam Agron

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Well, even though we didn't sell our old film equipment we almost
    started from scratch. My first digicams were P&S, so there was nothing
    that transferred over, and I kept my film cameras.

    A few years ago my wife decided she wanted one of those Tamron 28 to
    300 mm zooms. Problem was, her SLRs were old Olympus (OM1 and OM-PC).
    Since Oly had gotten out of the SLR business, the lenses were not
    available for Oly anymore. So she bought a new Nikon N75 at a good sale
    price. She was not interested in digital yet.

    Then she decided to go digital. So we bought a Nikon D50. It is a
    great camera. We also recently bought a new digital P&S when my old
    Oly 3000 digicam went belly up.

    She still has her Oly film stuff- I still have my Canon AE-1 film
    camera. We don't use them much, but they are there if we get nostalgic :)

    I got into digital photography about 10 years ago. It is like computers.
    Very rapid advancement in state of the art. So even after you get
    started in digital, you'll likely keep upgrading more frequently than
    you did with film.

    Don Stauffer, Jul 4, 2006
  7. Miriam Agron

    Miriam Agron Guest

    Thanks for all your input. I will check out the cameras and get back to
    you.

    Miriam Agron

    Miriam Agron, Jul 5, 2006
  8. Miriam Agron

    John Turco Guest

    Hello, Daniel:

    The Panasonic FZ-30 is the "only choice?" I think not.

    You see, the Kodak P850 (which I own) meets all those specifications,
    plus many more. (It even features a hot shoe, for example.)

    Best of all, it's very affordable. :)

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Jul 7, 2006
  9. I stand corrected. I didn't think the Kodak supported RAW.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Jul 7, 2006