Samba 3 extends lead over Win 2003....newbie or wannabe mcse's - get a clue!

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by DaveT, Nov 4, 2003.

  1. DaveT

    DaveT Guest

    By Roger Howorth [14-10-2003]
    The latest Samba release shows Windows a clean pair of heels in file and
    print peformance

    Tests by IT Week Labs indicate that the latest version of the open-source
    Samba file and print server software has widened the performance gap
    separating it from the commercial Windows alternative.

    Samba is an open-source implementation of the Common Internet File System
    (CIFS) protocol used for file and print sharing by PCs running Microsoft
    Windows. Samba 3, released last month, is a long-awaited upgrade that adds
    important new features, most notably compatibility with Microsoft Active
    Directory. Version 3 can be set up to authenticate users from an existing
    Active Directory.

    The latest benchmark results show an improvement over version 2, which
    performed twice as fast as Windows 2000 Server when it was tested by IT Week
    Labs last year. Overall, it now performs 2.5 times faster than Windows
    Server 2003.

    In terms of scalability, the gains of upgrading to Samba 3 are even more
    striking. Last year we found that Samba could handle four times as many
    clients as Windows 2000 before performance began to drop off. This year we
    would need to upgrade our test network in order to identify the point where
    Samba performance begins to fall in earnest.

    IT managers say Samba's better performance means they can use cheaper
    servers than would be possible with Windows software. And if they run Samba
    in a completely open-source environment, such as on Linux, they could remove
    the cost of Windows server licences. Samba is available free of charge for
    commercial Unix versions including IBM AIX, HP-UX and Solaris. It is also
    available for various versions of Linux, Novell NetWare and VMS.

    The IT Week Labs tests used Ziff-Davis NetBench file server benchmark with
    48 client systems. We selected a low-specification but otherwise modern
    server for our tests. We used an HP ProLiant BL10 eClass Server fitted with
    a 900MHz Pentium III chip, a single 40GB ATA hard disk and 512MB of RAM. We
    did not tune any of the software to improve performance.

    Each NetBench client makes a constant stream of file requests to the server
    under test, whereas in real-world environments many users would remain idle
    for long periods. Consequently our test environment simulates the workload
    of some 500 client PCs in a typical production environment.

    DaveT, Nov 4, 2003

  2. Been on many sites (mainly academic) where samba is a mainstay in the
    last 6 years. I have to say it is an integrators dream and night mare
    rolled into one.

    It promises much, looks stable on the surface, but would you run the
    space shuttle on it ? no.

    Granted its been a while and the article looks interesting, can you
    provide a link ?

    Marlin Munrow, Nov 4, 2003

  3. DaveT

    DaveT Guest

    Been on many sites (mainly academic) where samba is a mainstay in the
    last 6 years. I have to say it is an integrators dream and night mare
    rolled into one.

    It promises much, looks stable on the surface, but would you run the
    space shuttle on it ? no.

    Granted its been a while and the article looks interesting, can you
    provide a link ?
    here you go...
    http://www.itweek.co.uk/ITWeek/itw_graph_1144289.jsp - test results

    http://www.itweek.co.uk/news/1144289 - test article

    DaveT, Nov 4, 2003
  4. DaveT

    Consultant Guest

    so go use samba, who cares

    Consultant, Nov 5, 2003
  5. DaveT

    Jtyc Guest

    so go use samba, who cares

    Papa loves samba,

    Mama loves samba,

    Look at 'em sway with it,

    gettin' so gay with it

    Shoutin' "olé" with it, wow! (ooh!)

    Papa loves samba (Papa loves samba)

    Mama loves samba (Mama loves samba)

    Papa does great with it,

    swings like a gate with it

    Evens his weight with it, now!

    He goes to... she goes fro...

    He goes fast... she goes slow...

    He goes left... 'n' she goes right (Papa's lookin' for mama but mama is
    nowhere in sight)

    Papa loves samba

    Mama loves samba

    Havin' their fling again,

    younger than Spring again

    Feelin' that zing again, wow! (ooh!)

    Papa loves samba (Papa loves samba)

    Mama loves samba (Mama loves samba)

    Don't let her rumba and don't let her samba 'cause papa loves mama tonight
    (ooh!) (Papa loves samba) (Mama loves samba) (Papa loves samba) (Mama loves
    samba)

    He goes to... she goes fro...

    He goes fast... she goes slow...

    He goes left.... 'n' she goes right (Papa's lookin' for mama but mama is
    nowhere in sight) (ooh!)

    Papa loves samba (Papa loves samba)

    Mama loves samba (Mama loves samba)

    Havin' their fling again,

    younger than Spring again

    Feelin' that zing again, wow! (ooh!)

    (Papa loves samba) Samba papa (Mama loves samba)

    Samba mama (Don't let her rumba and don't let her samba) 'cause papa-- Loves
    a samba tonight (ooh!)

    Jtyc, Nov 5, 2003
  6. DaveT

    Waite, James Guest

    Thanks Perry....

    Waite, James, Nov 5, 2003
  7. DaveT

    Jtyc Guest

    Thanks Perry....

    You are most welcome.

    Jtyc, Nov 5, 2003
  8. DaveT

    Dragon Guest

    Were you that bored?

    :)

    Dragon, Nov 5, 2003
  9. DaveT

    Jtyc Guest

    Were you that bored?

    Perry Como just happens to be high on my hit list, that's all.

    Jtyc, Nov 5, 2003