    mass storage device (F:) drive which I remove and plug in as the mood sees
    fit. Both devices are on under the Safely Remove Hardware icon when I switch
    on the computer.

    Ken Smith, Jan 23, 2005

  2. Ken Smith

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | Windows XP pro SP2
    |
    | Should the, "Safely Remove Hardware" icon be on all the time?
    |
    | I have a HP 7450 photosmart printer (DOT4USB) attached permanently and a
    USB
    | mass storage device (F:) drive which I remove and plug in as the mood sees
    | fit. Both devices are on under the Safely Remove Hardware icon when I
    switch
    | on the computer.

    Yes - that icon should be on any time there is a device attached which could
    potentially lose data by disconnecting improperly. Your USB F: drive is
    obvious - and I'd guess your photosmart printer has a card slot for a camera
    memory card, correct? That would be why it has the icon in question.

    So the reminder goes here: use the icon to turn off the device(s) before
    unplugging them!

    Toolman Tim, Jan 23, 2005

  3. Ken Smith

    Ken Smith Guest

    | || Windows XP pro SP2
    || Should the, "Safely Remove Hardware" icon be on all the time?
    || I have a HP 7450 photosmart printer (DOT4USB) attached permanently and a
    | USB
    || mass storage device (F:) drive which I remove and plug in as the mood sees
    || fit. Both devices are on under the Safely Remove Hardware icon when I
    | switch
    || on the computer.
    | Yes - that icon should be on any time there is a device attached which could
    | potentially lose data by disconnecting improperly. Your USB F: drive is
    | obvious - and I'd guess your photosmart printer has a card slot for a camera
    | memory card, correct? That would be why it has the icon in question.
    |
    | So the reminder goes here: use the icon to turn off the device(s) before
    | unplugging them!

    Yes the HP printer has slots for memory cards. I do remember to click and safely remove the USB pen drive thingy, but it and the
    printer keep coming back after a restart.

    Ken Smith, Jan 23, 2005
  4. Ken Smith

    Toolman Tim Guest

    ||| Should the, "Safely Remove Hardware" icon be on all the time?
    ||| I have a HP 7450 photosmart printer (DOT4USB) attached permanently and a
    || USB
    ||| mass storage device (F:) drive which I remove and plug in as the mood
    sees
    ||| fit. Both devices are on under the Safely Remove Hardware icon when I
    || switch
    ||| on the computer.
    || Yes - that icon should be on any time there is a device attached which
    could
    || potentially lose data by disconnecting improperly. Your USB F: drive is
    || obvious - and I'd guess your photosmart printer has a card slot for a
    camera
    || memory card, correct? That would be why it has the icon in question.
    || So the reminder goes here: use the icon to turn off the device(s) before
    || unplugging them!
    |
    | Yes the HP printer has slots for memory cards. I do remember to click and
    safely remove the USB pen drive thingy, but it and the
    | printer keep coming back after a restart.

    As long as that printer is (in your words) "attached permanently" that icon
    will keep coming back.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 23, 2005
  5. Ken Smith

    Ken Smith Guest

    | ||
    | |||
    ||| USB
    | sees
    ||| switch
    ||| Yes - that icon should be on any time there is a device attached which
    | could
    ||| potentially lose data by disconnecting improperly. Your USB F: drive is
    ||| obvious - and I'd guess your photosmart printer has a card slot for a
    | camera
    ||| memory card, correct? That would be why it has the icon in question.
    ||| So the reminder goes here: use the icon to turn off the device(s) before
    ||| unplugging them!
    || Yes the HP printer has slots for memory cards. I do remember to click and
    | safely remove the USB pen drive thingy, but it and the
    || printer keep coming back after a restart.
    | As long as that printer is (in your words) "attached permanently" that icon
    | will keep coming back.

    Ok, that's fair enough. But why does my USB pen drive keep asking to Safely Remove even though hasn't been plugged in in days (and
    was "Safely Removed")?

    Ken Smith, Jan 23, 2005
  6. Ken Smith

    Toolman Tim Guest

    || |||
    || ||||
    || sees
    || could
    || camera
    before
    ||| Yes the HP printer has slots for memory cards. I do remember to click
    and
    || safely remove the USB pen drive thingy, but it and the
    ||| printer keep coming back after a restart.
    || As long as that printer is (in your words) "attached permanently" that
    icon
    || will keep coming back.
    |

    | Ok, that's fair enough. But why does my USB pen drive keep asking to
    Safely Remove even though hasn't been plugged in in days (and
    | was "Safely Removed")?

    My first guess is that Windows is not deleting the unit from your system
    device list. That way it recognises it faster next time you plug it in. But
    that's only a guess.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 23, 2005