    hardware all about? Once its disconnected, is it safe for removal whatever
    the circumstances?

    Tony

    Quiz Time, May 20, 2006

  2. Quiz Time

    Quiz Time Guest

    Just got my pc back from the workshop, new motherboard and fresh install

    I have 2 SATA drives in my pc, thats why I said SATA, on closer inspection,
    the safely remove hardware icon gives me ATA not SATA, I do appologise, do
    you think it's OK to remove it without deleting my hard drive?

    Quiz Time, May 20, 2006

  3. Quiz Time

    Frosty Guest

    Aw go ahead...you can always plug it back in.
    FWIW, I've got 2 SATA'a too and I seriously doubt I could "remove" one
    by clicking an icon. I mean they weigh a couple of pounds at least. I
    doubt an icon could even lift one much less remove it.

    BTW, on a semi-related subject, do you Brits get confused when you're
    taking about things weighing "pounds"? Do you have to say "I mean
    weight, not money" all the time? Or is that why you use kilos instead?
    And if you were to describe the real weight of a kilo, i.e., 2.2
    pounds, do you get all confused again?

    TIA
    SilverMan
    --

    Real debate; No bullshit.

    & http://halebobb.com

    Frosty, May 20, 2006
  4. Quiz Time

    Quiz Time Guest

    its grams, ounces and kilos where I'm from.

    Quiz Time, May 20, 2006
  5. Quiz Time

    Quiz Time Guest

    Aw go ahead...you can always plug it back in.

    I stopped it by clicking on the icon and pressing stop, then my hard drive
    dissapeared! It came back on reboot, but the damn icon still keeps coming up
    in the bottom right and its trying to persuading me to remove both my hard
    drives by removing the hardware?!!!

    Why would it do this? Hard drives in my pc are hardly removable usb hardware
    surely?

    p.s. Also since I installed my printer last night, connected to the usb,
    it's got the printer on the list of things to remove now.

    Tony

    Quiz Time, May 20, 2006
  6. Quiz Time

    Whiskers Guest

    Context is all; we also have the alternative word 'Quid' for the unit of
    currency. Of course, that word has other meanings too, but again context
    is your guide.

    For some years now, our official weights and measures have been 'metric',
    which tends to clarify meaning still further; but many of us oldies still
    ask for 'a pound of this' or 'two pounds of spuds', as well as the equally
    unambiguous "give 'er ten quids' worth please" if appropriate.

    Whiskers, May 20, 2006
  7. Quiz Time

    Fred Guest

    That can show up if you are using Nvidia motherboard drivers as they
    recognise the SATA drive as being hot-swappable (which is part of the SATA
    spec). Reverting to Windows drivers should remove the drives from the safely
    remove hardware list.
    Not sure why, does the printer include a card reader?

    Fred, May 20, 2006
  8. Quiz Time

    Trax Guest

    |>> Aw go ahead...you can always plug it back in.
    |>> FWIW, I've got 2 SATA'a too and I seriously doubt I could "remove" one
    |>> by clicking an icon. I mean they weigh a couple of pounds at least. I
    |>> doubt an icon could even lift one much less remove it.
    |>

    |>I stopped it by clicking on the icon and pressing stop, then my hard drive
    |>dissapeared! It came back on reboot, but the damn icon still keeps coming up
    |>in the bottom right and its trying to persuading me to remove both my hard
    |>drives by removing the hardware?!!!
    |>
    |>Why would it do this? Hard drives in my pc are hardly removable usb hardware
    |>surely?
    |>
    |>p.s. Also since I installed my printer last night, connected to the usb,
    |>it's got the printer on the list of things to remove now.

    Explorer, right click on the device, properties, Hardware Tab, select
    the device, properties, Policies Tab and select quick removal.

    Might do it..

    Trax, May 20, 2006
  9. Quiz Time

    Trax Guest

    |>Explorer, right click on the device, properties, Hardware Tab, select
    |>the device, properties, Policies Tab and select quick removal.
    |>
    |>Might do it..

    One Should also run ERUNT
    http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/ before doing
    something like this to a hard drive.

    Trax, May 20, 2006
  10. Quiz Time

    Quiz Time Guest

    Yes it has one built in and the first thing I did after I installed it was
    to put a memory card in there to test it out and make sure it works. Then
    after rebooting I found that the whole thing had managed to uninstall itself
    some how so I had to install it again. Thats when I noticed the extra device
    under 'remove hardware'.

    Quiz Time, May 21, 2006
  11. Quiz Time

    Quiz Time Guest

    Explorer, right click on the device, properties, Hardware Tab, select

    Tried that, still there though :(

    Thanks for recomending that backup program, thought system restore did al
    lthat but I guess it has it advantages over system restore. Not sure I want
    to venture into installing something on my pc that I know nothing about.

    Cheers.

    Quiz Time, May 21, 2006
  12. Quiz Time

    Trax Guest

    |>> Explorer, right click on the device, properties, Hardware Tab, select
    |>> the device, properties, Policies Tab and select quick removal.
    |>>
    |>> Might do it..
    |>

    |>Tried that, still there though :(
    |>
    |>Thanks for recomending that backup program, thought system restore did al
    |>lthat but I guess it has it advantages over system restore. Not sure I want
    |>to venture into installing something on my pc that I know nothing about.
    |>
    |>Cheers.

    ERUNT was very much called for in this case; if XP didn't see your
    drive you might not be able to even boot up let alone run restore.

    With ERUNT you are able to access the system from XP CD or in my case
    just go to another OS and run ERUNT - All fix'd

    ERUNT is also what you would call a stand alone program, it installs
    to it's own directory not spreading itself all over the OS - there's
    not even an add/remove entry for it as you just delete the dir if you
    want to remove it.

    http://www.pcug.org.au/~boesen/ERUNT/ERUNT.htm

    Trax, May 21, 2006