Safe Mode runs but not Normal or Selective Mode: Had Trojan Virus

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John Anderson, Oct 1, 2004.

  1. Hi,
    I am running a Pentium with Northbridge chips (MSI PCB), 0.5 gig RAM, 30
    ggabyte HD, NVIDIA. Win 2000 XP.
    I got a trojan virus - - some version of Trojan Downloader - and I ran TDS3
    and TrojanHunter. It appears that the virus is gone but I don't believe
    that just yet.

    Anyway, I start in the normal bootmode. The internet is not there and the
    machine runs S-L-O-W. I boot in safe mode with Internet and the machine is
    at it's normal speed. It has internet. I assume that the reason my
    connection is missing is due to the slow running of the machine.

    Ok, fine. I only need to boot in diagnostic while enabling the services to
    find the file that is bad. The problem is that I have done this and can't
    seem to find the bad service or file.

    Oh, it would not surprise me to learn that my virus is still in residence.

    My virus scanner is not working, and I can't reinstall it until the net and
    my email are working.

    I would appreciate some pointers on this problem. Yes, it is a real pain in
    the butt.

    John
    P.S. Please reply to group. My email is not working in any mode.

    John Anderson, Oct 1, 2004

  2. Follow up:
    I boot in safe mode and run msconfig. I later the selective startup so
    that it thinks that I have actually changed something. I haven't. All
    services are running. I then exit and restart without turing the machine
    off. My PC works fine then. I do get the error during the boot:
    Invalid Boot.ini
    Booting from C:\Windows\

    Any ideas? I did get my regular AVG virus checker to run and it found
    another virus. And yes I have the restor point feature turned off.
    Thanks,
    John

    John Anderson, Oct 2, 2004

  3. John Anderson

    mark mandel Guest

    After inserting the WinXP CD, you'd want to access the Recovery Console.
    Once there, at the C:\Windows prompt, type in(without quotation marks),
    "bootcfg /rebuild." I can't remember the questions that then near the
    bottom but the answers are Y(for yes), then "Microsoft XP Home Edition",
    then "fastdetect"(no quotes again), then type in exit.

    mark mandel, Oct 2, 2004
  4. More follow up:
    Mark,
    Thank you for the tip. It worked, and I learned something.

    Still, I'm having problems with Internet Explorer. If I start it from the
    desktop icon or the start menu, it uses up the CPU time and does nothing.
    No window appears. Any ideas on why this is so? Note that it appears to
    work correctly if I boot with safemode and networking.
    Thanks,
    John

    John Anderson, Oct 5, 2004
  6. John Anderson

    Trent© Guest

    Run Pest Patrol. Make sure you get the updates after you install
    it...before you run it the first time.

    It sounds like you still have spyware/trojan on your machine.

    Have a nice one...

    Trent

    Trent©, Oct 5, 2004