Safari now available for Windows XP and Vista...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Max Burke, Jun 11, 2007.

  1. Max Burke

    Max Burke Guest

    Apple has launched a version of its web browser Safari for Windows,
    competing head to head with Microsoft's Explorer and Mozilla's Firefox.
    Chief executive Steve Jobs said Apple "dream big" and wanted to expand the
    4.9% market share Safari enjoys.

    I thought I'd have a look at it....
    I went to http://www.apple.com/safari/ and saw there was a QuickTime Demo
    available...

    I clicked on the Demo button and did I get to see the demo?

    Not a chance!

    It says I have to have the latest QuickTime Player v7.1.6 installed.....

    WTF!! QuickTime player V7.1.6 IS INSTALLED!!!!!

    Feedback sent to Apple...

    Max Burke, Jun 11, 2007

  2. Max Burke

    Mutlley Guest

    I just did the4 basic download and installed it on Win2K SP4.5 and it
    works fine.. No crash. Despite the fact that Apple says Win XP and
    Vista only..

    Nice little quick browser..

    Mutlley, Jun 12, 2007

  3. 4 DOS and 3 remotely executable vulnerabilities in Safari Beta for
    Windows with hours of its release

    http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/06/12/0120230

    Courtesy of David Maynor and Thor Larholm.

    Some of these are pretty remarkable....

    Nathan Mercer, Jun 12, 2007
  4. Max Burke

    Shane Guest

    You must recommend OpenBSD a lot (2, thats TWO remote holes found in the
    last 10, thats TEN years, YEARS, not weeks like, say, windows)

    Shane, Jun 12, 2007
  5. The Dimdows curse strikes again. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 12, 2007
  6. Max Burke

    EMB Guest

    And what proportion of Microsoft's dev team worked for how long to find
    these ;-)

    EMB, Jun 12, 2007
  7. Nice to know that the Windows bugs are being found so that they can be
    worked around.

    Jonathan Walker, Jun 12, 2007
  8. Max Burke

    Max Burke Guest

    In Shane Scribbled:

    Thanks Nathan.
    Still has a LOT of bugs, just like any other OS.
    http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-bugs&r=1&b=200701&w=2
    Care to tell mey what your point is?

    As to the Safari bugs, well gee, if I'm planning on trying or using THIS
    browser why would I need to be concerned about bugs found in ANY other
    browser that I'm NOT [planning on] using?

    I'd want to know *** DUH *** about the bugs in this browser! (preferably
    BEFORE I try/use it)

    BTW as it's a time limited BETA release I wont be trying or using it until
    it's final release sometime in October. I'll leave the beta testing to
    those who like to 'do' that sort of thing.

    ;-)

    Max Burke, Jun 12, 2007
  9. Max Burke

    Shane Guest

    In a default install of OpenBSD only *two* remotely exploitable bugs have
    been found in *ten* years.

    Care to tell me how many remotely exploitable bugs have been found in, say,
    windows in the, I'll be nice, 5 years?
    Why would Nathans *only* comment be the bugs in a rival companys browser?
    Dare we talk about the number of bugs that have shown up in his companys
    browser?
    I take it you dont use IE, or Opera, or Firefox, or Konqueror, or any web
    browser then?
    I'll wait till a linux version comes out.
    Or even better, an OSS version that the lads at OpenBSD can go over with
    their finetooth comb.

    Shane, Jun 12, 2007
  10. ... it does indeed, but this time I'm going to put you in the bit bucket.
    Please, less of the advocacy. Let the ignorant discover the joys for
    themselves, and not be put off a change by you. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 13, 2007
  11. Same experience here. Thought It'd be a long shot - and it worked, and
    worked well too

    Regards
    Peter Jenkins
    see http://www.sensiblesentencing.org.nz

    Peter Jenkins, Jun 13, 2007
  12. Max Burke

    Ralph Fox Guest

    Safari isn't working from behind a corporate firewall.

    The proxy settings button is greyed out (disabled). These settings
    are needed to make it work from behind the corporate firewall.

    Firefox and IE work perfectly on the same machine.

    Maybe this is still on the Safari "to do" list. Or maybe Safari is
    supposed to pick up proxy settings from IE's own settings, but is
    failing to do so.

    Ralph Fox, Jun 13, 2007
  13. Max Burke

    El Chippy Guest

    No no no, you've got it all wrong! the evil empire (M$) has sabotaged
    safari to not work on windows because they feel so very very threatened
    by apple software on their machines ;)

    El Chippy, Jun 13, 2007
  14. Max Burke

    JohnO Guest

    Exactly what is included in that OpenBSD install? A GUI? What optional
    software? Are you comparing a minmal base server OS to one with GUI
    and various productivity and internet applications included?

    JohnO, Jun 14, 2007
  15. Max Burke

    Shane Guest

    www.openbsd.org
    Find out for yourself, it's what we diy'ers *do* on the weekend

    Shane, Jun 14, 2007
  16. Hi there,
    Nah, it cannot have been the MS dev team finding the bugs cos if they
    cannot find all the bugs and vulns in their own browser how can they
    find them in someones else's? :)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    "Maybe politicians should ask the people whether
    or not they wanted all these wars"...

    Chris Wilkinson, Jun 14, 2007
  17. Max Burke

    Mutlley Guest

    There is a new version on the Apple web site 3.0.1 (522.12.3) which
    is supposed to patch the holes..

    Mutlley, Jun 14, 2007