SAA/RTR/IPSLA - service unavailable traps?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Howie, May 14, 2007.

  1. Howie

    Howie Guest

    I've been experimenting lately with Service Assurance Agent (aka RTR,
    aka IP SLA, depending on IOS version). So far I have it monitoring a
    few things happily, and I have Cacti graphing the results of those
    tests, but I haven't had much luck getting the 'reaction' part of the
    system going.

    What I'd like is to receive a trap from the router when the service is
    unavailable, as well as falling outside of parameters. In particular,
    for icmpEcho, http and tcpConnect tests, it seems that the far end
    being unavailable *doesn't* send a trap, although it does show as an
    error in 'show rtr op'.

    The Cisco docs aren't exactly clear on whether it is supposed to do
    anything in this situation, but it seems that "no service" is the
    worst SLA-failure of all, to me :) Has anyone got a sample config for
    this that does work?

    I have:

    snmp-server enable traps rtr
    rtr logging traps

    ! my test webserver
    rtr 13
    type tcpConnect dest-ipaddr 10.1.1.188 dest-port 80
    tag mac2
    rtr reaction-configuration 13 react connectionLoss threshold-type
    immediate action-type trapOnly
    rtr reaction-configuration 13 react timeout threshold-type immediate
    action-type trapOnly
    rtr schedule 13 life forever start-time now

    but regardless of whether I shutdown just the http service (so the
    probe should get a connection refused), or pull the network cable (so
    it gets nothing), I don't get a trap at my NMS. Traps generally are
    working fine for my test router though, so I know it's not that. Test
    box is a spare 1751 running 12.3(11)T, but I haven't had any joy with
    12.4 either.

    Anyone else do this successfully?

    Howie

    Howie, May 14, 2007