    transfer 10 2gb files from one box to the other?

    Should I focus on the core operating system, NIC's or switch. I have my
    own inclination - but some other takes on it would be most welcome.

    Stephen Ward, Jan 4, 2009

  2. Stephen Ward

    PeeGee Guest

    That sounds a bit long .... for a 10Mb hub :-(

    A bit more info could be useful: which operating system and service pack
    (ISTR Vista had a problem with indexing and transfers for a large number
    of files when the receiving folder was open);

    why "force" 100Mb? what happens if you use auto-negotiate?

    have you tried different cables?

    --
    PeeGee

    to be removed from a computer easily."

    PeeGee, Jan 4, 2009

  3. Stephen Ward

    Conor Guest

    Disable your AV software.

    Conor, Jan 4, 2009
  4. Stephen Ward

    Stephen Ward Guest

    There are a pair of old XP SP2 machines. I forced 100mbps FD on both in
    an attempt to speed things up. It's made no difference from the previous
    'auto-neg'. I don't get any issues when I kick stuff through the same
    switch with smb on my linux boxes - it's just these two 'laughing boys'
    that are acting up.

    Cables have been changed (yep - been bitten on that before), switch ports
    etc.

    Stephen Ward, Jan 4, 2009
  5. Stephen Ward

    Stephen Ward Guest

    I'd already done that but thanks for the suggestion. Also kicked out the
    old free 'zoneminder' that was running just in case that was messing with
    it, but no dice.

    I've got to thank Alex for his suggestions - my networking tab on task
    manager gives me no throughput speed. It just shows the link at 100m and
    a couple of % utilisation.

    Stephen Ward, Jan 4, 2009
  6. Stephen Ward

    robert Guest

    I've had problems with XP when trying to do more than 1 copy/move at the
    same time between mapped drives. Everything grinds to a halt, I now try
    to be patient and run one copy/move window at a time.

    robert, Jan 4, 2009
  7. Stephen Ward

    Stephen Ward Guest

    It finally finished so to try and trouble shoot I've copied one 2g file
    from each box through the same switch to a samba share on a linux box.
    This was much quicker. It's really odd behaviour to see. The issue seems
    to be when the only xp boxes I have try to talk. I may look at spending
    some more time with it.

    Stephen Ward, Jan 4, 2009
  8. Stephen Ward

    Stephen Guest

    try wireshark on 1 or both of the PCs.

    you should be able to capture part of the transfer and see what isnt
    happening :)

    Stephen, Jan 4, 2009
  9. Stephen Ward

    Stephen Ward Guest

    I already tried a tcpdump and looked at it in wireshark. The TCP
    conversation is normal (SYN/ACK) - no retransmissions or anything odd
    going on. I'll look at it a bit more closely in a couple of weeks. I
    don't use Windows that much for it to be an issue, I'd just like to get
    to the bottom of it. Thanks for everybody who took the time and trouble
    to make suggestions. Much appreciated.

    Stephen Ward, Jan 5, 2009