Rural laptop to cost $187, with Linux

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Au79, Mar 18, 2006.

  1. Au79

    Au79 Guest

    Au79, Mar 18, 2006

  2. Au79 wrote:
    <snip>

    Quoting from article:
    "There are a lot fewer applications that run on Linux, and this may
    affect the acceptance, said Frank Shi, an analyst at CLSA in Hong Kong."

    "The laptop, which measures 17 centimeters - or 6.7 inches - by 14
    centimeters" (about 6.7" x 5.5")

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 19, 2006

  3. Au79

    Mike Easter Guest

    My local Fry's has a laptop on sale this weekend for $399 USD and you
    get a free printer.

    Now, the next thing you know, people will want to know some details.
    So, I'll have to go into the other room and get the newspaper; but
    that's OK because there's a cold beer and an frosty mug in there.

    Ahhh. I'm back. Tasty.

    It is 'Great Quality' the GQ Fry's brand, 14" screen VIA C3 1.2 G cpu,
    WinXP, 256 mem, 40G hdd, CDRW/DVDrom, integrated sound, lan, & video &
    v90 modem [currently selling at Fry's outpost online for $600 see
    http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4530647#detailed ] but I've also seen
    it for $450 somewhere. I don't know who makes the mobo and laptop
    assembly for the GQ ZX-3203

    So, then you also get the printer, a Canon MP-150, which is a cheap all
    in one scanning printing alleged photo-quality that sells for $90 and
    $20 rebate at the same outpost
    http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4754109?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

    Would I buy that printer? No. Would I take it if they gave it to me?
    I guess so, but I think you have to pay sales tax as if you bought it.

    What about that C3 laptop with 256 ram and the weak little C3 trying to
    run WinXP? Well, you could stick more ram in there but that wouldn't
    help the cpu or the video. You could get install another OS besides
    XP -- also, since I don't have an XP and it would be nice to have one to
    make a Bart's PE bootable Win CDROM. So, even tho' the printer isn't
    worth anything, the 'free' WinXP is worth having, but not necessarily
    'buying'.

    Now, I'll go get another beer.

    Mike Easter, Mar 19, 2006
  4. Au79

    Au79 Guest

    Quite the contrary, there are just as many applications running on Linux,
    including office suites, graphics, multimedia, Internet, etc. It seems that
    Mr. Shi(t) is yet another promoter of the MS Lie.

    Au79, Mar 19, 2006
  5. Au79

    Guest Guest

    Yes, I suppose as one of the more prolific netloons, you would know more
    than a professional analyst that the Bloomberg news considers a worthy
    source.

    Guest, Mar 19, 2006