Running XP Pro 32 Edition w/out errors/problems on a 64bit chipset

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Guest, Oct 2, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Can Windows XP Pro 32 Edition run without errors/problems on a 64bit chipset?

    We purchased a new Dell dual processor xeon machine. The processors are
    Intel Xeon 5150 running at 2.66. Originally, we ordered the machine
    configured with for Windows Pro x64 Edition. Unfortunatly, some of our
    software and hardware would not run on Windows Pro x64 Edition. Dell sent us
    a CD to install Windows Pro 32bit edition.

    This computer has been plagued with problems and slow response to the most
    basic things like draging the mouse and opening dialog boxes. Additionally,
    if we open the properties for My Computer Windows only sees 3 GBs of 4 GBs of
    the ram installed on this machine. The bios does see 4 GBs of ram.

    We finally asked Dell to send out a tech to take a look at the machine. The
    tech said that our problems probably are due to the fact that we are trying
    to run Windows Pro 32 bit Edition on a 64 bit chipset. He said that this is
    a Windows (Microsoft) problem and that we should consult Microsoft for a
    solution to the problem.

    My question is:

    Can Windows XP Pro 32 Edition run without errors/problems on a 64bit chipset?

    If this is a problem is there a solution to this problem?

    Mahalo,
    John

    Guest, Oct 2, 2007

  2. Guest

    Jane C Guest

    Yes. No problems encountered here running any 32 bit OS on a 64 bit cpu.
    OK, that sounds fair.
    The 3GB limitation is dependent on motherboard/BIOS as well as operating
    system. Windows only seeing 3GB is normal.

    As for the other problems, do you have all of the latest 32 bit device
    drivers, chipset inf etc installed?
    The Dell tech is misinformed. That appears to be normal for a lot of OEM
    techs ;)
    Start with device drivers. Make sure they are all up to date. What
    chipset does the motherboard have?

    Jane C, Oct 3, 2007

  3. Guest

    Jane C Guest

    Correction:

    The 3GB limitation is dependent on motherboard/BIOS as well as operating
    system. 32 bit Windows only seeing 3GB is normal.

    Jane C, Oct 3, 2007
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Aloha Jane,
    Thanks for the quick answer. I'll make sure to mark your answer as helpful.

    We have found out that our software and hardware now has drivers that are
    compatable with Windows XP Pro x64 Edition.

    Would we see a performance improvement if we change from Windows XP x32
    Edition to Windows XP Pro x64 Edition?

    If so, how do we get an upgrade to x64 from x32?

    Are there any liabilities, problems or warnings that are know for running
    Windows XP Pro x64 Edition?

    Is there a list of software that does not run under Windows XP Pro x64
    Edition?

    We are not happy with the way that this machine is running. We are looking
    for any solution that will make it run quicker. I will look into getting the
    latest drivers for our software and hardware. Do you have any other
    suggestions for improving the performance of this machine?

    Mahalo,
    John

    Guest, Oct 3, 2007
  5. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    As Jane said, there is NO problem running a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit chipset.
    There have been mostly 64-bit machines for 3-4 years and millions of happily
    working XP and Vista 32-bit systems running on them.

    John Barnes, Oct 3, 2007
  6. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    It might help her if you said what types of applications you are going to
    run on the machine. Personally, if you are having slow response dragging
    your mouse on a machine with those specs, you have some serious problems.
    My own opinion is that if you have the drivers for XP 64 and your programs
    are compatible, it is a far more stable operating system and should
    certainly be used, especially in a business environment.

    John Barnes, Oct 3, 2007
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Aloha John,
    Thanks for the thoughts and information. We are running ArchiCAD, Office
    2003, Outlook 2003, Photoshop CS2, a HP 110 Plotter, Acrobat 8 Professional,
    SmartFTP, Retrospect Pro 7.5, AVG Internet Security 7.5, Skype 3.5 and a few
    other programs. We have installed all of the latest drivers. Do you know of
    any conflicts with these programs?

    Our data is stored on a ReadyNAS NV Storage Raid device. All of our network
    devices and switches are 1000GHtz except a Lynksys wireless router that is
    not connected to the Dell machine.

    Recently AVG found a virus called Win32/Gaelicum.A in a lot of our
    executable files in our computers and on our NAS. Even after AVG has removed
    the virus this computer is still working just as slowly if not slower. This
    computer has been running slowly since we first fired it up.

    Thank you for you additional questions. I hope that I have answered them.
    I am still wondering about the answers to the questions that I possed to Jane.
    Aloha,
    John

    Guest, Oct 3, 2007
  8. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    In line
    You may see some improvement, but most improvement would come with greater
    that 4gig of memory and with programs specifically written and compiled for
    64-bit execution.
    The only way to upgrade to X64 is to do a clean install and reinstall all
    software. You can use a Windows program to transfer files and settings.
    Windows XP Pro x64 Edition is VERY stable (written on the Server code base)
    and if your first statement is correct that your software and drivers
    support is confirmed, then I can think of no reason not to consider
    changing.
    There have been a number of lists of compatible and non compatible software
    over the first couple of years, but I haven't seen one lately. Since you
    listed your software in another post maybe other posters on this site can
    comment on specific programs.

    With a new install of the os and reinstall of all software you will have
    eliminated the virus from the executables. I would hope you would be able
    to restore any data from before the virus and re-update to current status.
    The problem with a slow execution on your system still bothers me as that
    should not be happening.

    John Barnes, Oct 3, 2007
  9. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Aloha John,
    Where can we get an upgrade version of Windows XP Pro from the 32 bit
    version to the 64 bit version?
    Mahalo,
    John

    Guest, Oct 3, 2007
  10. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    There is no upgrade version. Many computer stores will carry it. It is an
    OEM system. It is available online from most of the major online computer
    stores.
    You can download a trial version online from Microsoft. Those I have used
    http://www.provantage.com/microsoft-licenses-zat-00126~7MSXX0LV.htm
    http://www.directron.com/zat00124.html
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produ...etail.jsp?ProductCode=604652&prodlist=froogle
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...re+-+Operating+Systems-_-Microsoft-_-32116400

    John Barnes, Oct 3, 2007
  11. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi,

    I have just bought a new 64 bit computer and am also having problems
    installing XP Pro 32 bit. There seems to a conflict with my Graphics card.
    I have a GT8500 PCI. Windows gets so far then my screen goes funny and the
    computer hangs. Can anyone help as I'm pulling out what little hair I have
    left!!

    Guest, Oct 3, 2007
  12. Guest

    XS11E Guest

    Try these two things to start:

    A. Don't hijack someone else's thread.

    B. Ask in the proper newsgroup.

    XS11E, Oct 3, 2007
  13. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    What makes you think it is the video card. Are you trying to upgrade or
    doing a clean install. If it is both, you should try uninstalling the
    driver for the card. Otherwise, you should post this in the
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

    John Barnes, Oct 3, 2007