    Currently we have (7) 32-bit TS2k3 servers in WLB cluster with about 300
    terminals. The servers are on separate physical boxes. I'd like to
    consolidate those onto 1 or 2 64bit VS05R2 machines with lots of memory.

    Guest, Aug 3, 2007

  2. Makes no sense at all. Why cripple your TS boxes by virtualizing them and
    forcing them to be 32-bit and limited to ~3GB of RAM each? FAR better to
    simply run one or two 64bit TS boxes with lots of RAM. Just make sure you've
    got good I/O to support it. (A nice _wide_ array with a good controller and
    plenty of cache, and good NICs.)

    Terminal Services is a core workload for x64. With good I/O, you can run 300
    on one 4-way box with sufficient RAM. I think I saw that an HP DL-585 (quad
    opteron) did ~700 before it maxed out. But trying to run them in Virtual
    Server is just wrong.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 4, 2007

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I agree with Charlie. My 7 year company hosting 32-bit W2K3 'physical' TS for
    the user front-end and 32-bit 'virtual' W2K3 on 32-bit W2K3 VS2005 R2 for LAN
    back-end services is just now moving to 64-bit blade servers.

    The front-end TSs will run on physical 64-bit servers while as many
    'virtual' back-end 64-bit AND 32-bit servers as possible will run on other
    64-bit W2K3 physical servers.

    Your idea to run a virtual 32-bit OS on a 64-bit physical serve does not
    increase the value of your situation that much. Once the W2K8 Virtual
    Services which allow 64-bit guest OS's with upto 20 GB RAM allocation, then
    you can decide via testing if virtual 64-bit TS services are worth it.

    Guest, Sep 11, 2007