    run.

    Is there an emulator that will allow this program to run on this
    system?

    Glory, Dec 8, 2009

  2. Glory

    El.Plates Guest

    He you go take a look here
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Running+old+DOS+program+on+64+bit+Windows+7

    El.Plates, Dec 8, 2009

  3. Glory

    Glory Guest

    Thanks but I already tried Google and didn't really find anything that
    would help me. It appears there are other people out there with
    similar problems but the answers are all over the place with mixed
    results.

    And how do you know if a DOS program is 16 bit or 32 bit?

    Glory, Dec 8, 2009
  4. Evan Platt expressed the following thoughts on 12/8/2009 11:52 PM:
    DOS programs were 32 bit? Ever?

    Diabolic Preacher, Dec 8, 2009
  5. Glory

    PeeCee Guest

    Glory

    If you have Windows 7 "Pro" or "Ulitmate" you can download the free
    Microsoft 'XP Mode' virutal PC.
    Basically if it can be made to run on an XP PC then it should run in the XP
    Mode on a Windows 7/64bit PC.

    Though I haven't run any 16 bit DOS programs per see, I have installed and
    run an old accounting program that started life as a DOS program and was
    warmed over for Windows 98.
    AFAIK the accounting program stayed 16 bit all the way through so there is a
    good chance any 16 bit DOS program will run in XP Mode.

    Alternatively if you have Home Premium (which won't install the Microsoft XP
    Mode) you could look at the other virtual PC's that others have pointed to.
    Just create the virtual machine and install a copy of DOS as the OS and you
    should be good to go.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Dec 8, 2009
  6. Glory

    Glory Guest

    Thanks!

    Glory, Dec 14, 2009
  7. Glory

    Glory Guest

    Yup, I have Home Premium unfortunately, so looks like I'll have to go
    the DosBox route. Thanks for your advice.

    Glory, Dec 14, 2009
  8. Glory

    Glory Guest

    DosBox worked like a charm! I wish it had the ability to use
    "paste", but I suppose I can live with typing in a long command line
    once in awhile. Perhaps it recognizes .BAT files and can run them?
    That could help.

    Glory, Dec 15, 2009
  9. Glory

    Dosman

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have found 2 problems with Dosbox

    1) Dosbox does not support file and record locking commands
    .... ( needed if you want to have a multi user user operation )

    2) Dosbox will not allow you to shell out to notepad or wordpad
    .... as normal CMD Dos does

    Does anyone know of a work around for problem #1 above?
    I have a work around for problem #2 ...not elegant but it works
    ......................... Len

    Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
    Dosman, Feb 16, 2010
  10. Glory