Running a softphone as a "windows service"

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by msg, Jan 30, 2008.

  1. msg

    msg Guest

    Greetings:

    Does anyone have experience with any Windows softphone running
    it as a service using 'srvany.exe' (or other means)? The intent
    is to permit the softphone to run before user logins and survive
    logouts and to have GUI and user interaction on the screen.

    Especially useful would be descriptions of doing this with
    X-lite and Firefly. I have not begun experiments yet and hope
    to gain some insights from others first.

    Also, references to other products which may include the option
    to run as a service would be helpful.

    Regards,

    Michael

    msg, Jan 30, 2008

  2. I have not checked Windows version, because I don't use Windows, but I
    think, either the GTK2 or QT4 client of open source YATE version 2.0.x
    software could be your best bet (see http://YATE.null.ro/).

    Balwinder S Dheeman, Jan 30, 2008

  3. msg

    msg Guest

    Thanks for your reply; I had not looked at yate in awhile (I run asterisk)
    but it looks like a fine project. Unfortunately the yate
    for Windows runs only as an application out of the box.

    Regards,

    Michael

    msg, Jan 31, 2008
  4. msg

    msg Guest

    Sorry, somehow a word got deleted from my post: I was writing:
    'Unfortunately the yate client for Windows runs only as an application
    out of the box'.

    Michael

    msg, Jan 31, 2008