    or two, but cannot accept any down time right now.

    Thanks in advance for all answers.
    Bjørn

    bjorn.augestad, Feb 8, 2007

  2. It seems this file is responsible for running the Client/Server subsystem,
    watch out for duplicate instances of this process - apparently, it can be a
    Virus impersonating this system file!!!

    I am not a Server guy - don't know what to advice.

    Tony. . .

    Hi.

    We have a problem at one of our servers. One (out of 4) csrss.exe
    process uses 1.1GB of mem and 4GB of VM. That process seems to be dead
    (as in not doing anything) and I'd like to kill it. The server is
    almost out of virtual memory and will crash in 5-10 hours.

    OS is Windows 2003 EE on IA64.

    Anyway, my questions are:
    - Is it safe to kill the csrss.exe process?
    - What's the recommended way to kill it?
    - Does anyone know the cause of our problems?

    Rebooting is not an option yet. We will be forced to reboot in a day

    Tony Sperling, Feb 8, 2007

  3. Please discard this post, turns out that the process wasn't abandoned
    after all. It leaks memory, but cannot be killed.

    Bjørn

    bjorn.augestad, Feb 8, 2007