    scenes."

    (I sure am glad I kept my laserdisc player and discs of the original
    trilogy, before Lucas mucked them all up...)

    Modemac, Sep 10, 2004

  2. "subtle" changes?

    RO"FLMAO

    John Harkness

    John Harkness, Sep 10, 2004

  3. Modemac

    nenslo Guest

    Well there's always the chance he might accidentally make them LESS
    STUPID AND BORING. Okay, maybe not.

    nenslo, Sep 10, 2004
  4. Modemac

    Zimmy Guest

    There was already an event, people have the discs. There is no rumor, Lucas
    put boy toy Hayden in Return of the Jedi.

    Zimmy, Sep 10, 2004
  5. Seen it with my own eyes.
    /shudder/

    Rick Ramey, Celestial Engineer, Sep 10, 2004
  6. Modemac

    NeuroManson Guest

    Anyone else with a DVD player might want to download the TR47 version,
    ripped straight from laserdisc. I found mine (and it was quite watchable) at
    www.myspleen.com and the torrents are well seeded.

    They also have a goodly amount of cartoons and other cool weirdness for
    download.

    NeuroManson, Sep 10, 2004
  7. Modemac

    NeuroManson Guest

    I'm surprised that they didn't just put the younger Obi Wan and Yoda in
    there as well.

    NeuroManson, Sep 10, 2004
  8. Modemac

    ghost Guest

    He should've "subtly altered" the first two of the current trilogy before
    they even hit the screen... say, in the screenwriting process.

    Lousy, drab, wonderless pieces of drivel.

    ghost, Sep 10, 2004
  9. That would have made too much sense.

    Rick Ramey, Celestial Engineer, Sep 10, 2004
  10. Modemac

    Dgates Guest

    If that's the case, I'm sure Lucas will wait 10 or so years, then
    reshoot the ending with an older Hayden... probably repeating the
    process every 10 years until he feels he has it right.

    Dgates, Sep 10, 2004
  11. Modemac

    Joe Barlow Guest

    Ditto. I respect the rights of directors to have final cut on
    their work, but Lucas has lost all credibility with hard-core sci-fi
    fans, first by churning out the (largely inferior) Special Editions,
    and now these new "super special edition" DVDs. Just remember: Greedo
    never shot first.
    It breaks my heart to know that my kids will never get to see the
    version of "Star Wars" I grew up with on DVD. Unless, of course,
    Lucas churns them out in a year or so, and makes us all buy the films
    yet again. Sheesh.

    Joe

    --
    Joe Barlow -- Author of "100 Nights in the Dark: A Collection of
    Contemporary Film Reviews & Essays" (available at bookstores

    To join CINEMASLAVE, a free e-zine devoted to quality cinema,
    send a blank e-mail to:

    Joe Barlow, Sep 10, 2004
  12. I cant wait till he redos the prequels and deletes Jar-Jar from them.

    SpiderManHouston, Sep 10, 2004
  13. Modemac

    SoHillsGuy Guest

    TheDigitalbits.com has a solid review on the changes made, including several
    screen grabs of the before-and-after differences.

    SoHillsGuy, Sep 10, 2004
  14. Well, you could not buy them the first time, then you wouldn't be
    buying them again.

    Lucas has you guys by the nuts, doesn't he?

    John Harkness

    John Harkness, Sep 10, 2004
  15. Modemac

    Sue Guest

    I agree. I'm an original fan from '77, and I LOVED Star Wars, seeing it
    13 times in the theater that summer. But the DVD that's coming out isn't
    the movie I saw, and I'm not planning to buy it. My sister has her
    laserdisc of the original, untouched film, and I have my VHS widescreen
    tape set from 1996 which are also of the original versions. Next time I
    want to see any of the movies, I'll be watching those.

    I'd love to think Lucas may one day release the original versions, but I
    highly doubt it will ever happen. Every interview I've read indicates
    that he thinks the new versions are the 'real' versions, the films he
    wanted to make, and the original versions will never be released again
    in any form. But to me, the 'real' Han never would have let Greedo get
    off the first shot, and so I suppose I'll have to stick with what I've got.

    Sue

    Sue, Sep 10, 2004
  16. [..]
    I'm glad I still have my VHS tapes for the same reason.

    Avoid normal situations., Sep 11, 2004
  17. What was it that Gore Vidal said about the corporations/government wanting
    us all to be docile workers and loyal consumers?

    Avoid normal situations., Sep 11, 2004
  18. Modemac

    Jerry Brown Guest

    Not completely untouched.

    In the original cinema version, Vader's fighter was still spinning
    away out of control. The very first of Lucas's updates showed Vader
    stopping the spin and regaining control, and this version was what
    first appeared on video. Also, the final shot of the film zoomboxed
    into the closing titles rather than the current quick fade, suggesting
    that something might have been changed in the credits sequence.

    Jerry Brown

    Jerry Brown, Sep 11, 2004
  19. Modemac

    Bubba Gump Guest

    Thanks for the pointer. Unfortunately, Bit Torrent doesn't work well for
    everyone, especially me. I have satellite internet and for some reason,
    Bit Torrent is slower than even dial up so I don't use it. Newsgroups
    fly by comparison. I can only assume it's because of the technology
    used in providing satellite internet that limits access to Bit Torrent so
    I'm kinda outta luck.

    An example of how slow it is for me to download the TR47 verion of
    Episode 4 --- 487.6 hours..... now that's sloooooowwwww, my friend.

    Hopefully someone will post it in one of the star wars newsgroups.

    Thanks,

    Bubba Gump

    Bubba Gump, Sep 11, 2004
  20. Modemac

    Sue Guest

    Interesting! I hadn't remembered that they had changed that, though I do
    know that Aunt Beru's voice is different from the version I saw in
    theaters, as is the sound of the warning siren in the very beginning of
    the film (a friend of mine smuggled a tape recorder into the theater and
    taped it; I listened to it so often that I could detect these subtle
    differences. Pathetic, yeah, but I was only 13...). As has been stated,
    the movie did not have the 'Episode IV' title either, it was just 'Star
    Wars'. Why they changed Beru's voice and the siren I have no idea, but I
    know that this VHS tape is the closest I can possibly come to owning the
    movie I saw in 1977.

    By the way, for those interested, looks like there's a cool special on
    Star Wars on TV Sunday night: A&E is showing 'Star wars: Empire of
    Dreams' from 8-10:00. Looks like a making-of/retrospective. Should be cool!

    Sue

    Sue

    Sue, Sep 11, 2004