Rules of Conduct for Microsoft Newsgroups

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by John Eddy [MSFT], May 27, 2004.

  1. From http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx:

    Rules of Conduct

    Appropriate Language: The purpose of our communities is to exchange
    technical information and expertise about Microsoft products. Please avoid
    personal attacks, slurs, and profanity in your interactions.

    Relevance to Topics: Please make sure that your postings in newsgroups and
    chats are relevant to the subject at hand. It is normal for some topics to
    drift from the stated subject. However, to ensure maximum benefit for
    everyone, we encourage you to keep your postings as close to the subject as
    possible.

    Advertising/Solicitation: These communities were created as a forum for
    providing peer-to-peer assistance related to using Microsoft products and
    services. We ask that you refrain from posting unsolicited advertisements
    that do not pertain directly to the intended use and purpose of the
    newsgroup or chat.

    Confidentiality: Please keep in mind that our communities are public
    spaces, so don't post anything that you don't want the world to see. Credit
    card numbers, product keys, and other confidential information, including
    anything covered under a non-disclosure agreement (NDA), should not be
    posted to a newsgroup, chat, or other community.

    From: http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.mspx, under Use of Services:

    "Microsoft has no obligation to monitor the Communication Services.
    However, Microsoft reserves the right to review materials posted to the
    Communication Services and to remove any materials in its sole discretion.
    Microsoft reserves the right to terminate your access to any or all of the
    Communication Services at any time, without notice, for any reason
    whatsoever."

    If you have any questions or complaints, feel free to mail me directly.

    John Eddy
    Microsoft Newsgroups Administrator

    John Eddy [MSFT], May 27, 2004

  2. John Eddy [MSFT]

    Neil Guest

    while I do think you are on the right track Ed, MS my be recieving more
    complaints about those who oppose the cheaters and hence the post

    my 2ยข

    Neil, May 27, 2004

  3. Considering that you reserve the right to go after those who
    ditto

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, May 27, 2004
  4. John Eddy [MSFT]

    Brian Guest

    As long as you keep allowing people to post anonymously through the MS
    server, there is no way you will be able to enforce any code of conduct.

    Brian, May 27, 2004
  5. while I do think you are on the right track Ed, MS my be recieving more
    What, complaints by who!!!!

    You mean the braindumpers are complaining to ms about the 'those who
    oppose' them!!!!

    LOL!!!!!!

    GOOD LUCK IN PRISON!!!!!

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, May 27, 2004
  6. John Eddy [MSFT]

    Neil Guest

    tells you something when the dumpers hold more value to MS than the non-
    dumpers

    Neil, May 27, 2004
  7. John Eddy [MSFT]

    Neil Guest

    amen

    Neil, May 27, 2004
  8. As long as you keep allowing people to post anonymously through the MS
    They would also have to make news.microsft.com private and stop any
    inbound feeds from the real world, as well as turning all the ng's
    into moderated one's.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, May 27, 2004
  9. Considering that you reserve the right to go after those who
    it is real

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, May 27, 2004
  10. John Eddy [MSFT]

    Andy Foster Guest

    Or from people who were too dumb/lazy to check the NG before asking whether
    they should take 2000 or 2003.
    Unlike most NGs, m.p.c.e.m's rules don't seem to include this type of
    behaviour. Fair enough in alt.fan.tellytubbies perhaps (or any AOL groups),
    but not here.

    Andy Foster, May 27, 2004
  11. John Eddy [MSFT]

    Neil Guest

    interesting comparison. You're suggesting that some braindumping posters
    here would be more at home with the tellytubbies? hmmmmmm, you might be on
    to something Andy....

    Neil, May 28, 2004
  12. John Eddy [MSFT]

    Neil Guest

    the best

    Neil, May 28, 2004
  13. John Eddy [MSFT]

    Neil Guest

    which would instantly exclude the web interface.

    Neil, May 28, 2004
  14. John Eddy [MSFT]

    Network Guru Guest

    Network Guru, May 28, 2004
  15. John Eddy [MSFT]

    Neil Guest

    Neil, May 28, 2004
  16. If that 'policing' includes personal attacks, I think I'll have to disagree.

    John Eddy [MSFT], May 28, 2004
  17. Hi Neil,

    The problem lies in the personal attacks and offensive language. you have to
    admit we get a little crude in here quite often.

    Associate Expert
    Unofficial FAQ for Windows Server 2003 at
    http://pelos.us/SERVER.htm

    Larry Samuels, May 28, 2004
  18. Hi Network Guru,

    While MCNGP has good goals and ideals which I support, the methods used are
    often heavy handed and offensive to some.

    We (MCNGP) are not doing a good job policing the group, nor should we. We
    aren't newsgroup police.
    The reason I have stopped posting in this group is that the attacks and foul
    language have grown excessive. There are two MVPs that are MCNGP members
    (Laura and myself), but you will find that both of us have pretty much
    stopped posting here at all.

    Larry Samuels, May 28, 2004
  19. John Eddy [MSFT]

    Consultant Guest

    that's because microsoft hires those who used braindumps. i mean really,
    have you ever called miscrosoft premier support? in the last 3 years i have
    made 4 calls to premier, each one resulting in a non-decrement, as i end up
    solving it myself or it resulted in a hot-fix (my team and i found over 15
    bugs in the rtm of sms 2.0 leading to it's first service pack, i thank you).
    no talent a$$clowns.

    Consultant, May 28, 2004
  20. John Eddy [MSFT]

    Consultant Guest