    I am rsyncing from one drive to the other on the same PC; this is not over a network.

    Using Windows XP. Thanks in advance for any advice,
    Mango

    Mango, Apr 1, 2009

  2. Mango

    Mango Guest

    Ah-ha! The drive is formatted as FAT32, not NTFS...going to reformat it and see if that solves the problem.

    m.

    Mango, Apr 1, 2009

  3. Mango

    Mango Guest

    Changed to NTFS and gained a whopping 0.02MB/sec.

    Any other ideas would be welcome.

    m.

    Mango, Apr 1, 2009
  4. Mango

    why? Guest

    Like this www.google.com
    Results 1 - 10 of about 17,000 for
    rsync usb performance
    .. (0.18 seconds)

    I haven't read any of these, that's your job.

    By default some of the hits involve networking, however any rsync issues
    may be related to non networked causes.

    QNAP NAS Community Forum • View topic - [Solved] Slow performance ...
    3 posts - 2 authors - Last post: 5 Feb
    I have read several other threads about slow USB performance on this
    forum but they mostly attribute the poor performance to using rsync. ...
    http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10484

    Network, disk, ftp, rsync performance
    15 posts - 5 authors - Last post: 30 Jul 2008
    Network, disk, ftp, rsync performance. Just for the fun of it... Smile
    ..... Make sure there is nothing else attached to the USB ports. ...
    www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=4835

    Network, disk, ftp, rsync performance
    11 posts - 7 authors - Last post: 26 Jan
    RE: Network, disk, ftp, rsync performance. Hi, I have executed the
    installation over USB-Stick published by "lmfs"-instructions. ...
    www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=4835&action=lastpost - 69k
    - Cached - Similar pages -
    Doubt it, filesystem translation is handled by the OS.

    Another version / upgrade rsync.

    Not using cygwin? Have you tried booting from a Linux live CD/DVD and
    testing rsync that way?

    Also www.google.com
    Web Results 1 - 10 of about 686,000 for
    cygwin rsync performance
    .. (0.25 seconds)

    cygwin rsync performance and bandwidth between two w2003 servers
    cygwin rsync performance and bandwidth between two w2003 servers. Ulrich
    Jung ulrich.jung at wfw.de. Thu Sep 14 11:42:49 GMT 2006 ...
    http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2006-September/016273.html

    FW: rsync performance
    12 Sep 2003 ... It does not take advantage of any OS IO performance
    enhancements. I'm sorry that you find rsync's local performance
    disappointing but that ...
    http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2003-September/007175.html

    Jim Kleckner - Re: rsync over ssh performance problem in cygwin
    We have strange problem with rsync performance. We do files
    syncronization from w2k (cygwin, rsync 2.5.6) over ssh to Linux (rsync

    Jim Kleckner - Re: Rsync performance increase through buffering ...
    12 Dec 2002 ... This may explain the horrendous performance of rsync
    with ssh under cygwin. Perhaps the way that cygwin emulates these calls.
    www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-12/msg00690.html

    Looks like searching / asking in cygwin forums might be a good idea.

    why?, Apr 2, 2009