    member of another VLAN? This is one area I am not sure I understand how a
    port could be part of two VLANs?!?

    Thx,

    Castravete, Feb 21, 2005

  2. Castravete

    Ben Guest

    Best bet is to do a search on CCO for the SPAN/RSPAN master doc. It
    explains the whole deal.

    Ben, Feb 22, 2005

  3. Castravete

    thrill5 Guest

    An RSPAN vlan is a special type of VLAN. A port is not a member of a two
    vlans, the data from the port is "spaned" to the rspan vlan. On the lower
    end switches, you need to use a "reflector" port, which is any unused port
    on the switch to span the data to the rspan vlan.

    Scott

    thrill5, Feb 27, 2005
  4. Castravete

    Castravete Guest

    Thanks for replying. That was the problem with me understanding this
    correctly, then: the port to be "watched" is never part of another VLAN,
    besides the one it already belongs to, but - instead - it just simply
    "mirrors" its traffic to another VLAN (the RSPAN one), as it it was to do
    it for a simple port (SPAN), if the destination port was on the same
    switch, right? Makes sense now.

    Thx again,

    Castravete, Feb 27, 2005