    this... so... MICROSOFT: PLEASE TALK TO ME! ...

    thanks a lot...
    Rudolf

    Rudolf Meier, Sep 19, 2009

  2. Rudolf Meier

    Bill Grant Guest

    Why have you installed Hyper-V on a machine which is running as a RRAS
    router? That is not a great idea.

    Installing the hyper-V role makes big changes to the networking of the
    host machine. If you need RRAS I would recommend running it in a vm, not in
    the host/parent partition.

    Bill Grant, Sep 20, 2009

  3. Rudolf Meier

    Rudolf Meier Guest

    Hi Bill
    Branch office, 1 server, old server software... do I have to say more?
    Well... IF this is a problem for Windows, so why does the setup allow me to
    do this??
    That's like asking "why do you want to use all 4 doors of your car? ... I'd
    recommend to enter the car by the front doors only" ... I want to use it,
    because they say it's possible to use it and because I payed for it!

    Rudolf

    Rudolf Meier, Sep 21, 2009
  4. Rudolf Meier

    Bill Grant Guest

    Fine. But if you run an unusual setup, you are essentially on your own.
    The hardware can't be all that old if it will run Hyper-V.

    Hyper-V is not an add-on virtualization product like Virtual Server.
    Adding the Hyper-V role makes fundamental changes to the way the system
    works and the way networking works.

    You can effectively run all of this on one machine, but you need to set
    it up so that you are taking advantage of virtualization, not trying to make
    it work your way despite virtualization.

    The recommended method is to run nothing in the parent partition except
    the Hyper-V role. To use your car analogy, it is just the engine and
    chassis. Install things like RRAS or DCs in vms.

    Bill Grant, Sep 22, 2009
  5. Rudolf Meier

    Rudolf Meier Guest

    Well... anyway... Microsoft told me, that it has to work and they're
    investigating this now. It's definitively a bug, because, after the removal
    of the Hyper-V role, RRAS still doesn't work, and that's for shure not what
    the inteded the system to do...

    I only use Hyper-V for old software, not because I want to separate roles
    from each other... (by the way, I think that's rather supid to this, because
    it's nothing else than wasting resources and energy... the roles have to be
    designed, that they can run beside each other on the same OS and that they
    don't need a virtual machine... but I know, that the reality looks different
    and every programmer thinks, that his application is the only one running on
    a computer)

    Rudolf

    Rudolf Meier, Sep 22, 2009
  6. Rudolf Meier

    Matias Guest

    In my experience, the best way to minmize these issues is to make sure the
    Hyper-V role is the first thing you install on a server. All other roles
    should come afterwards.

    Matias, Nov 24, 2009