    function results in read only files on a rewriteable DVD.

    Thanks for your feedback.

    Renee

    Renee Roberts, Nov 28, 2003

  2. Renee Roberts

    pcbutts1 Guest

    When you burn do not close the session. if you close the session the disk
    will become read only.

    pcbutts1, Nov 28, 2003

  3. It is multisession disk and as you suggest, each session had been closed.
    But Easy CD & DVD Creator 6 (Data Project in Classic function) automatically
    closes each session after writing to the DVD+RW. The option is greyed out so
    it can't be changed.

    Now I'm thinking that Roxio intended to make DVD+RWs read only when using
    the Data Project option since it's closing each session.

    Any other ideas?

    Renee

    Renee Roberts, Nov 29, 2003
  4. Renee Roberts

    PC Guest

    Dear Renee

    First go to the help function in CD Creator and see if it explains the
    difference between the 'R' and 'RW' formats.

    Your comment in the second paragraph "if I format a dvd+rw first"
    indicates to me that you may not have yet fully grasped the difference
    between the two types of disk and the different software used to write data
    to them.

    Do you see 'Direct CD' appear as well as CD Creator ?? (I'm not familiar
    with the latest versions so it may be called something else)

    CD Creator is the software designed to write a disk all in one go after you
    have assembled all the 'files' into a list ready to go. This software is
    designed to write to a 'R' disk which is a write once format as the dye's in
    the disk permanently change their 'reflectivity when they are written to.
    Because of this the 'Read Only' attribute IS set to reflect the fact that
    the file/date is 'unchangeable'.

    Direct CD however is designed to write 'packets' (or chunks if you like) of
    data to a 'Formatted' disk. This recording format requires a dye that can be
    reversed back to it's original reflectivity so you can copy / paste / delete
    as needed, hence the 'RW' label. Once the disk is 'formatted' you usually
    just drag and drop in Windows Explorer with Direct CD handling all the
    'packet' stuff in the background. Formatting in this sense is somewhat
    similar in concept to 'formatting' a magnetic disk i.e. it 'prepares' the
    disk with all the little markers as to where the data is to be saved on the
    disk. In this case because the files/data can be changed the 'Read Only'
    attribute is NOT set.

    Having said that it is possible to use the 'other' type of disk, i.e. a
    blank 'RW' disk can be written as if it was a 'R' disk even though you know
    it is a 'RW' disk.
    This can be a good thing as the 'R' format disk is usually compatible across
    a wider range of 'players' and is an ideal way of testing if a (for
    example) autostart program works as expected etc. When you've sorted
    everything out you can then burn a permanent copy to an 'R' disk and recover
    your 'RW' disk by popping it back into the drive and use the 'Erase Re
    Writeable' (or similar) tool to reset the 'RW' back to 'Blank' status.

    Though I haven't done it personally I have also seen some of my 'clients'
    format a CDR using the CDRW packet writing software, then find they can't
    make any backups. In this case because it is a 'R' disk the formatting is
    the one and only action they get to do. When they tried drag and dropping
    data in Window's Explorer they got 'Errors' because the dye on the disk
    being non reversible wouldn't change as directed by the packet writing
    software.

    From the above you can see that you may be putting a 'blank' RW in your
    drive and using CD Creator to write to it as if it was a blank 'R'. Doing
    this by definition creates a 'Read Only' file/data format as the 'Read Only'
    attribute is set automatically.
    CD Creator just simply doesn't know anything about 'RW' and because Direct
    CD see's a 'R' disk in the drive not a 'RW' disk, it doesn't load and
    perform it's 'rewriting' magic in the background.

    So you can not delete or rewrite because the the way the disk is recorded
    tells all the software on your system 'Hands Off' it's read only.

    As always O&OE

    Cheers
    Paul

    PC, Nov 29, 2003
  5. Thanks for the very useful information, Paul. I'm replying to some of your
    comments, and adding my own experiences with the program, with the hope that
    it may help someone else.
    I don't see an explicit explanation of the difference between R and RW
    formats on any of the help pages.
    Here's what happened originally. I have two DVD drives: one's an internal
    CD/DVD combo; the other's a brand new external CD/DVD+/-RW burner I'm still
    testing. First I took a blank, 'unformatted' DVD+RW and tried dragging
    Explorer MP3 files to the Drag-To-Disc toolbar (version 6's counterpart to
    previous version's Direct CD). Drag-To-Disc only looked for the CD/DVD combo
    and didn't find the burner. So I assumed I couldn't use Drag-To-Disc. I was
    wrong as I later explain.

    Then I created a multisession Data Project DVD using Disc Creator Classic
    (version 6's counterpart to the previous version's CD Creator) with MP3
    files. When I realized I couldn't delete any MP3 files, I tried unchecking
    the Read-Only attributes. After unsuccessfully trying to do this, the DVD
    disc was no longer readable in either of my DVD drives! I can only assume
    that trying to change the read-only attributes was the cause of this.

    Being the thrifty soul that I am, I didn't want to lose my $2 DVD, so I
    decided to reformat the unusable DVD. I went to Explorer, right-clicked on
    the burner drive, and chose Format. Then I tried dragging Explorer files to
    the Drag-To-Disc toolbar again, and this time it worked. The difference
    this time was that the DVD had been 'formatted' first, although that is not
    supposed to necessary when using Drag-To-Disc. And I found that my files
    were now 'Rewritable'.
    Version 6 doesn't have Direct CD anymore. There's something called
    Drag-To-Disc instead.

    I especially appreciate your explanation on differences between the 'old'
    version's two programs, CD Creator vs Direct CD. That explains why my DVD's
    wound up as 'Read-Only' after using Disc Creator Classic.

    Thanks and Regards,

    Renee

    Renee Roberts, Nov 29, 2003
  6. Howdy!

    Well, yah - it creates DVDs that look just like DVD ROMs.
    Probably because it uses packet writing instead.
    Yes, it's working the way it should.

    Disk Creator Classic is designed for -Rs. You can use -RWs the same
    way (matter of fact, I do ... I DETEST Packet Writing!), but you then erase
    the -RW blank (+RW for those with DVD+ drives) and recycle them.

    But to use as if it were a 4.5GB floppy disk - you have to use the
    packet writing software.
    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Nov 29, 2003
  7. Renee Roberts

    birddog73

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Denton, TX
    I'm certainly glad I found this forum! I have wasted 2 days reading through the tutorial trying to figure out why all my files were marked as “Read Only” when I got a message that my disc was full. I was going to delete some of the files that were no longer important or needed but I guess I’m just stuck with them.

    Of course MyDVD came installed on my computer so there were no manuals to refer to, only the tutorial.

    After I had twice tried unsuccessfully to set up a new disc so it would be left open at the end of the burn I was really getting irritated. I finally broke down and emailed NEC with my drive model info and ask them if they could provide any help although I knew it was not a drive problem. They were very polite and helpful. They are the ones that provided me a link to this forum.

    After reading your posts I tried formatting the disc from MS Explorer, as was indicated above, then I drug a couple of files to my DVD drive and the read only attributes were gone. I’m not sure what the purpose of make the process seem so complicated serves. Evidently it has something to do with saving photos to insure you don’t accidentally over write them or for making audio files so they will play in just about any CD player.

    Thanks for sharing your experiences and knowledge.
    Jerry

    birddog73, Aug 7, 2006