routing VoIP through a regular phone line

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by C3, Sep 7, 2004.

  1. C3

    timbevell

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Reguarding the above discussion....

    Hi guys,

    I don't usually respond to boards like this, but I thought this particular discussion waranted it. (I had to create a user account just to do it.)
    ...and here is what I wan to add:

    a normal modem without voice capabilities can only control basic phoning operations (dialing, answering, etc..) and connect to whatever data streaming technologies that is is set up with (v.90, etc...)

    adding the fax capabilities only adds some of those v.# protocols...

    neither of these can support voice directly (without an external connector that connects a mic and speaker to the telephone wires, which is what a normal phone does)

    now...the voice modem....
    the basic voice modem allows for half-duplex communication, this is usually implemented in one of 2 ways: as a speaker-phone and as an internal modem with speaker and mic ports, which when you connect the speaker and mic turns into a speaker phone.
    ... this kind of system is really good for recording voice and delivering voice messages, hence there are a lot of home voice mail programs that are available.
    ... when it come to a realtime voice communication, the speakerphone technology has a simple flaw -- voice can only go one way at one time ---
    this means that as you speak, you are effectively cutting off the incoming voice from the other caller. Now, when a person is using it, it is not that big of a deal, but when you are trying to implement some kind of VoIP gateway, it is a serious problem.

    ...to date, I have not seen a cheap system that is adequate...but there was an implementation of the technology that was looking promising in the form of a 1 and 2 line full duplex modem called "linejack". Theoretically, this could be used to do what is being requested, but when I last looked at it there was no adequate software to tie the functions together...maybe that has changed by now, I don' know..... (i last looked at it in 2004)

    The only other full duplex modems that support the capabilities of being tied into a VoIP system are expensive server cards taht support things like 24 ports, or 8 T1s, etc...

    Good luck....

    Tim

    timbevell, Sep 23, 2007