    installed?

    I was told that speed booster routers are a waste of money unless the
    laptop has a compliant card installed.

    Pegleg, Nov 2, 2007

  2. Pegleg

    Jordan Guest

    You need the compatible card which is usually proprietary.

    Jordan, Nov 2, 2007

  3. Hi
    Many manufacturers of 802.11g Devices add none standard "Speed" capacity to
    some of their Wireless lines.
    All of them are compatible with any regular 802.11g hardware. However, to
    take advantage of the Extra Speed you have to buy the specific matching card
    from the same manufacturer.
    Linksys call it Speed Booster.
    D-Link calls it AirPlus Extreme G
    Buffalo call it 125.
    Netgear and few others have similar concoctions.
    While regular 802.11g yields under best condition 18-24Mb/sec.
    These Speed enhancers yield under similar condition 28-42Mb/sec.
    Frame of reference for functional Network "Speeds" ,
    http://www.ezlan.net/net_speed.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 3, 2007
  4. Pegleg