    mind knowing I can make calls to any UK or Irish Geo number without
    having to count the cost of each call or checking any web site to
    check how much credit I have left .

    Dexter, Aug 20, 2005

  2. Andrew Hodgson

    Dexter Guest

    And that is why we have two Linksys here Ivor , sorry Ivor I just
    would not give your all singing and dancing vontrollop house room for
    the reasons stated no matter how good it may be :)))))))))) .

    Dexter, Aug 20, 2005

  3. Andrew Hodgson

    Dexter Guest

    Which was what put me of them years ago .

    Dexter, Aug 20, 2005
  4. Andrew Hodgson

    Ivor Jones Guest

    [snip]
    Doesn't look too bad at all. Don't need (or like/want) wireless though, do
    they do a non-wireless version..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 20, 2005
  5. Andrew Hodgson

    adamc Guest

    I know very little about ATA or routers, but I kind of like my devices
    to normally do one thing - that way, when it goes wrong, you only lose
    that one service. By bundling up more services in one box, you increase
    your chance of losing more services. Just my 2p.

    Adam

    adamc, Aug 20, 2005
  6. Andrew Hodgson

    Ivor Jones Guest

    [snip]
    With most things I'd agree with you, but in this particular instance each
    device is hard enough to get working on its own, never mind trying to get
    three boxes all doing different things and probably from different
    manufacturers, all to co-exist..! With a combined modem/router/ATA there
    is only one box to configure and less physically *to* go wrong..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 20, 2005
  7. Andrew Hodgson

    Brian Guest

    The OP may very well want to these points into account when making his
    mind up on how to get a second phone line.
    Using your figures (80 + 3x60) that is about 85 GBP per year over three
    years. 85 GBP will buy a lot of UK geographical calls from 18866 at
    their present rate. At an average of five calls per day we are looking
    at a cost of about 36 GBP per year.

    Brian.

    Brian, Aug 20, 2005
  8. Andrew Hodgson

    Rupert Guest

    One could say the same about AAISP themselves, but those who pay the price
    seem to appreciate the difference.

    Rupert, Aug 20, 2005
  9. Andrew Hodgson

    adamc Guest

    When everything is bundled into one box, diagnosis is easier - you just
    know it's the box and you either try and repair it or throw it out and
    buy a new one.

    However, I prefer the challenge of tracking a fault down, over several
    days, or even weeks, to a particular device, through trial and error
    ("well, x works, but y doesn't so it must be device z). Kind of masochistic,
    but I learn out of it. ;-)

    Adam

    adamc, Aug 20, 2005
  10. Andrew Hodgson

    Ivor Jones Guest

    [snip]
    I'd rather do without the fault ;-)

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 20, 2005
  11. Andrew Hodgson

    Me Guest

    Not at the moment although I think a 716 (without the WL) might be
    available at some point.

    Me

    Me, Aug 20, 2005
  12. Andrew Hodgson

    Me Guest

    Looks like the 716v5 is what you want

    http://www.speedtouchdsl.com/prod716.htm

    Me

    Me, Aug 20, 2005
  13. Andrew Hodgson

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Ok, looks good. On balance though I still prefer the Fritz!Box Fon, it has
    the ability to connect to an ISDN line as well as (or rather instead of)
    an analogue PSTN line. I don't have ISDN, but I can see occasions when it
    might be useful. It also has the ability to hold the configurations of up
    to 10 SIP accounts, all of which can be used for incoming calls, although
    the selection of which one you want for an outgoing call if you have more
    than 2 is a little awkward, requiring keycodes.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 20, 2005
  14. Good point, which is why we don't have wireless on the router. My
    basic issue of having a separate ATA is the QOS issue plus using one
    of the LAN side IP addresses, whereas the router address isn't really
    used for much. I could put the ATA on a private IP, and get it out
    via another IP, using NAT, except I read somewhere that you get more
    compatability with using no NAT! I was hoping I could start out using
    a cheap router (software really isn't an option as we would have to
    invest in microphone/headphones etc), and use an existing chordless
    phone on it.

    The advantage of using an ATA is I can configure things manually,
    including the traffic shaping on the firewall. However, it would be
    more expensive, as I would have to invest in a feature for the
    firewall to provide this feature.

    Thanks.
    Andrew.

    Andrew Hodgson, Aug 21, 2005
  15. Yes although i really wanted it for use with outgoing calls.
    Specificly that they don't tie up our main analog line.
    Not really an option due to having to buy in headphones/microphones.
    Plus we are also tied to the machine, whereas we have a chordless
    phone already which is sitting doing sweet fa at the moment.
    I had already done this. The main benefits are for when my sister
    stays on the phone for long periods, basically talking about not very
    much, but keeping the line busy for people who urgently need to ring
    us (as my father deals with pastoral issues, it isn't great to get
    call waiting all the time). The chordless phone we already have, and
    I am looking at a new router anyway due to some issues with my current
    model anyway.

    Thanks.
    Andrew.

    Andrew Hodgson, Aug 21, 2005
  16. Thanks I will take a look. I don't wish to have wireless either. On
    some review sites I have seen that most of the options on these boxes,
    are done using cli, is this still the same?

    Thanks.
    Andrew.

    Andrew Hodgson, Aug 21, 2005
  17. Andrew Hodgson

    Ivor Jones Guest

    [snip]
    Could you explain what you mean by this, Andrew..? Configuration on mine
    is the same as on a router, via a web interface.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 21, 2005
  18. Andrew Hodgson

    Al Guest

    Changing your name so as to try to avoid getting caught in people's
    killfiles is your obsession Stefan.

    Al, Aug 21, 2005
  19. Andrew Hodgson

    Al Guest

    .... and overpriced.

    Al, Aug 21, 2005
  20. Andrew Hodgson

    Al Guest

    The problem with this solution is that it doesn 't apply to those of
    us on cable. I agree that a combined router/ATA/switch (but NO adsl
    modem) is a good idea as it avoids that mass of power supplies looking
    for a free socket.

    Al, Aug 21, 2005