    for evening calls that last for a lengthy period?

    Thanks.
    Andrew.

    Andrew Hodgson, Aug 20, 2005

  2. Andrew Hodgson

    Dexter Guest

    Parden me but I would think you would be much better using a modem or
    a router I cannot see any connectors or anything on our firebricks all
    I can see on ours are scorch marks from the flames of the fire !! .
    Never heard of firebricks being used in connection with the internet
    or computers in general they usually found around fireplaces .

    Dexter, Aug 20, 2005

  3. Andrew Hodgson

    Sean Guest

    Think he means firewall :)

    Sean, Aug 20, 2005
  4. Andrew Hodgson

    Ivor Jones Guest

    If you're looking for a recommendation for a specific unit, the only one I
    have personal experience of is the AVM Fritz!Box Fon which is an "all in
    one" box containing an ADSL modem, an ATA (single Ethernet port so you'd
    need a switch or hub to connect multiple computers, although it does also
    have a USB port) and two analogue phone ports.

    Each of the phone ports can be configured separately with different
    accounts from the same or different providers and each of the two phones
    connected can be made to ring for calls on either or both numbers. You can
    ring between them as well as a sort of mini-PBX.

    There is also a PSTN phone port which can be connected to either an
    ordinary analogue BT line (the phone port of the ADSL splitter) or an ISDN
    line. This will provide fallback if the VoIP system isn't working for some
    reason, or you can use it to set up dialling rules so that calls to
    mobiles or 0870 numbers go via BT, as a lot of VoIP providers charge more
    than BT for calls to these numbers.

    It does have QoS to give priority to VoIP calls as well, which needs no
    setting up.

    More info at www.avm.de/en if you want to have a look

    Ivor

    PS to Dex and Stefan no I don't have any connection with the company, even
    though they are German..!

    Ivor Jones, Aug 20, 2005
  5. Andrew Hodgson

    PC999 Guest

    i wasnt even going to make that suggestion ivor lovey

    PC999, Aug 20, 2005
  6. Andrew Hodgson

    Dexter Guest

    Well you do go on about this "AVM Fritz!Box Fon" also Ivor so we can
    put it down to just another of your obsessions then Ivor .
    By the way Ivor that other great and very expensive product we spoke
    on the phone the other day, the manufactures have now admitted that it
    is very buggy when operated in that particular mode .

    Dexter, Aug 20, 2005
  7. Andrew Hodgson

    Ivor Jones Guest

    If by "going on" about it you mean recommending it, then you're right, I
    do, I think it's a great piece of kit. Obsession..? I wouldn't go that
    far.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 20, 2005
  8. Andrew Hodgson

    PC999 Guest

    sipgate is your obsession ivor lovey

    PC999, Aug 20, 2005
  9. Andrew Hodgson

    Dexter Guest

    Personally I think it is a horrible looking thing now the Sipura 2000
    is a different thing altogether a great looking object mind you I have
    always liked things that are straight and square . I am not all that
    pleased with the Linksys routers due to the slightly curved apperance
    they have when you look at them from the front :)) .

    Dexter, Aug 20, 2005
  10. Andrew Hodgson

    Rupert Guest

    Rupert, Aug 20, 2005
  11. Andrew Hodgson

    davew Guest

    davew, Aug 20, 2005
  12. Andrew Hodgson

    Brian Guest

    Having an extra phone line cannot be a bad move. Don't forget it can
    also have its own incoming number which family members can give out to
    their friends.

    How much cheaper outgoing calls will be is dependent on the VOIP service
    chosen. Posts in this newsgroup or a Google search will allow you to
    compare different offerings from various UK providers.
    A third way: software plus microphone and headphones.

    If you already have a router I think I would go for an ATA plus a cheap
    cordless phone. Having no experience of routers with Voip ports
    someone else will have to advise you on whether these have any distinct
    advantages over my suggestion. In particular, I do wonder how effective
    the QoS capabilities are.
    Estimate the capital cost of equipment, the price of UK VOIP calls and
    how much is saved on renting another BT line. Factor in the importance
    and convenience of a second phone line to your family.

    Brian.

    Brian, Aug 20, 2005
  13. Andrew Hodgson

    Dexter Guest

    Oh dear what is up with you lot today I did know what he was on about
    I posted my remarks just to see if I could get some one saying I am
    stupid or thick what is up with you lot today :))))))))))))))))))).
    That apart it is quite a long time since I have seen any mantion of
    firebrick in any of the news groups before today .

    Dexter, Aug 20, 2005
  14. Andrew Hodgson

    Dexter Guest

    Now you are talking but change the cheap for good quality I don't say
    this with particular reference to VOIP most cheap cordless are crap
    you need to be paying 30 or so pounds to get anything decent .
    If cable Internet is an option no fixed phone lines are necessary at
    all .

    Dexter, Aug 20, 2005
  15. Andrew Hodgson

    Brian Guest

    Maybe, but for someone investigating VOIP it is a relatively inexpensive
    way of starting out,
    30 GBP could be someone's concept of 'cheap'. On the other hand the
    Binatone I bought at Argus for 18 GBP works well for me and has clear
    audio.
    Not being familiar with cable services do I take it that a second
    telephone line is provided at no cost?

    Brian.

    Brian, Aug 20, 2005
  16. Andrew Hodgson

    Dexter Guest

    We have the Binatone twin pack bought from Currys 28.00 a little while
    ago and I agree they do work well a friend bought the 4 pack the other
    week from Argos 74.00 I think he said .The BT Diverse X10 is an
    exceptionally good single phone also but are a little hard to come by
    now around 34.00 from "The Phone Shop" .
    Has I stated Brian with VOIP you just do not need a FIXED phone line
    at all .

    Dexter, Aug 20, 2005
  17. Andrew Hodgson

    Brian Guest

    Yes, I understand that but I originally pointed out that one of the
    considerations when taking the VOIP route is not having to acquire
    another line. Now I did mention BT but could have written 'BT/cable'.
    In either case the cost saving has to be balanced against expenditure on
    other items.

    Brian.

    Brian, Aug 20, 2005
  18. Andrew Hodgson

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Nice kit, shame about the price..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 20, 2005
  19. Andrew Hodgson

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Well I agree with you to a certain extent but at the end of the day it's
    how it works that is the important thing, isn't it.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 20, 2005
  20. Andrew Hodgson

    Me Guest

    Personally, I think you cannot go wrong with the Speedtouch 716 WL

    http://www.speedtouch.co.uk/prod716WL.asp?menuCurrPos=2.

    It is a modem / router/ wireless with 2 VOIP ports - so you just plug
    in an ordinary phone put in the name of your VOIP provider and your
    username and password and you are away. It also has QOS of required.

    It costs around £90

    Me

    Me, Aug 20, 2005