    Am I right in thinking that given this, the WEP/WMA protection is
    pretty much irrelevant? I know MAC addresses can be spoofed, though
    someone would have to now what address to spoof...

    tolgan, Mar 20, 2010

  2. tolgan

    Sam Guest

    MAC addresses are always sent in plaintext over the air, regardless of
    whether any encryption is enabled - devices need to know whether packets
    are intended for them so that they know whether to bother trying to
    decrypt them. It's very simple to view active MACs on *any* wifi
    network.

    WPA with a non-dictionary passphrase is essential.
    WEP-only routers must be thrown away, unless you're using encryption on
    a different layer via another device or a VPN, which 99.99% of home
    users won't be.

    Sam, Mar 20, 2010

  3. tolgan

    Rob Morley Guest

    And it's easily found by sniffing packets. If you want any sort of
    security you really need to use encryption, and WEP is just too easy to
    crack.

    Rob Morley, Mar 21, 2010
  4. tolgan

    tolgan Guest

    Sam/Rob - thanks for the info, glad I asked! Better get shopping
    then...

    Do you have any particular recommendations or know of any good
    comparison sites? I connect via an NTL cable modem, and have a couple
    of wired desktops and a couple of wireless laptops - at least one of
    which supports the new "n" standard.

    From a quick surf these look like some obvious choices at around 50
    quid:

    Linksys WRT120N

    Netgear WNR2000 Wireless-N

    Belkin N150 Enhanced

    Belkin F5D8235uk4 with usb (might be useful for a shared disk?)

    Regards

    tolgan, Mar 21, 2010
  5. tolgan

    Rob Morley Guest

    From what I read of the TM 2300 specs it supports WPA anyway, probably
    just needs a firmware upgrade if the option isn't there at the moment.
    Otherwise you could use some third-party firmware like dd-wrt.

    Rob Morley, Mar 21, 2010
  6. tolgan

    tolgan Guest

    I was half thinking about upgrading in the not too distant anyway, to
    upgrade to the "n" standard and maybe get a better range.

    If I stay with the Dell a while longer, is WPA vs WPA2 an issue? (2300
    is WPA only I think?)

    tolgan, Mar 21, 2010
  7. tolgan

    Rob Morley Guest

    WPA is a firmware kludge to get around the WEP vulnerability (and
    is a significant improvement), WPA2 with AES is harder.
    I wouldn't be too bothered about the difference between TKIP and AES,
    but if you're going to upgrade anyway ...

    Rob Morley, Mar 21, 2010
  8. tolgan

    tolgan Guest

    Thanks all for advice.