    Cable/DSL modem --> [] [] --> []
    .................. 1st NIC....2nd NIC...NIC in 2nd PC

    Dave

    Dave Hardenbrook, Oct 12, 2007

  2. What you are describing above is called Internet Connection Sharing by
    Microsoft. ICS has been is all MS O/S's since Windows 98 Second Edition.

    Depending on the kinds of NIC's you have facing each other (NIC2 of PC1
    to NIC in PC2) you may need an ethernet crossover cable.

    The advantage is that you don't need the $30.00 router.

    The disadvantage is that PC1 needs to be on all the time and anytime PC2
    wants to access the Internet. Also, PC1 is now exposed to the Internet
    and needs to be properly protected, Windows XP's built in Firewall is
    insufficient all by itself.

    While what you are proposing will work, my question is - WHY?

    Routers are so cheap and so darned reliable plus they provide that first
    line of defense against all the nasties out there on the Internet.

    John

    John P. Dearing, Oct 12, 2007

  3. Dave Hardenbrook

    Mister Guest

    I could give an answer equivalent to what you would hear from the show
    "The Big Bang Theory", but I have to agree with Watzman and Dearing on
    this one.

    Mister, Oct 13, 2007