    both wireless switches on the laptops were on...

    Thanks for any advice.

    Sam

    Sam, Mar 3, 2009

  2. Sam

    Conor Guest

    If your routers wifi is on channel 12 or 13, you need to make sure that
    the drivers for the wifi devices have their region set to UK as some
    default to US and in the USA, they only go up to channel 11. You can do
    that in Device Manager, network devices, right clicking on the wifi
    card, selecting Properties, clicking on the Advanced tab then scrolling
    down the list to the appropriate entry.

    Conor, Mar 3, 2009

  3. Sam

    Rob Morley Guest

    Have you disabled SSID broadcast on your router? It's a good thing to
    do WRT security, but one more configuration setting needed on the client
    machines.

    Rob Morley, Mar 3, 2009
  4. Sam

    Sam Guest

    HI Conor, My router is on channel 12 - I did as you said above, and in the
    list under the advanced tab, I couldn't see anything which suggested it was
    a driver version... what exactly am I looking for, please? Funny thing is,
    no sooner had I said that the existing network works okay, than on one of
    the networked laptops, the wireless connection had disappeared completely,
    not even showing up in 'network connections', until I rebooted.

    Wish I knew what was going on :)

    Thanks,
    Sam

    Sam, Mar 3, 2009
  5. Sam

    Sam Guest

    No Rob, I hadn't disabled the SSID, I double checked to make sure it was
    enabled.

    Sam, Mar 3, 2009
  6. Sam

    Conor Guest

    You're looking for the entries under Advanced and one of them should
    say "Region" or similar. Depends on what the drivers include.

    Conor, Mar 3, 2009
  7. Sam

    Sam Guest

    I think you might be right!

    Sam, Mar 6, 2009
  8. Sam

    Sam Guest

    Didn't see that listed, Conor. The router must be knackered, yet another
    laptop couldn't see my network, but easily found three others at a friends
    house.

    Thanks for your help, anyway.

    Sam

    Sam, Mar 6, 2009
  9. Sam

    Sam Guest

    Thanks for that info.

    Sam

    Sam, Mar 6, 2009
  10. After serious thinking Sam wrote :
    I cannot see anywhere where you say you have turned the wifi on or
    enabled it in the router.

    Harry Bloomfield, Mar 14, 2009