    So my question again, forgetting about QoS issues, how Large can
    switches span a network?

    Thanx in advance,

    tobe_better, Jan 4, 2007

  2. tobe_better

    PeterD Guest

    Sorry but it is an accurate statement. You need to understand what a
    network is, what address ranges are, etc., and then you will
    appreciate why a router is used (and needed).
    Can you restate that as a sensible question? Switches usually are 24
    ports each (large ones) and most quality ones have the ability to
    'stack' to add more ports.

    PeterD, Jan 4, 2007

  3. tobe_better

    tobe_better Guest

    If your answer is kind of rude, then I don't need it. And please
    understand the Question before you answer it. It seems that you did not
    get the question even.
    Anyway thank you for the try.

    tobe_better, Jan 4, 2007
  4. tobe_better

    FedUp Guest

    PeterD's answer was not "rude" and shows a better understanding of the
    capabilities of routers vs switches than your questions. You should not
    criticize someone trying to help you.

    Good luck now in getting a better response.

    FedUp, Jan 4, 2007
  5. tobe_better

    tobe_better Guest

    Ok. I don't want to go into endless blaming... First of all, I said in
    "theory". What I was trying to say in my question is that with switches
    we can make kind of Star topology network that extends for a large
    areas. And since SW works with MAC address only and they can send a
    broadcast msgs to identify each other. Then we can build a network that
    works.
    Routers appeared to solve the problem of the huge broadcast issue, and
    what they do is routing the packets to the best and the most efficient
    route (and for that reason they make what they call IP and their
    Network addresses). So routers are not used to connect different
    networks, they were invented to make a better and scalable network.
    I though that I will get a professional answer in this group. But
    unfortunately I got disappointed.

    Cheers,

    tobe_better, Jan 4, 2007
  6. tobe_better

    FedUp Guest

    Here you go
    http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Hardware_Software/2006/router_switch_hub.asp

    FedUp, Jan 4, 2007
  7. tobe_better

    Dana Guest

    If they are layer 3 switches, yes you can.
    Layer 3 switches add a routing function, and will route across different
    vlans
    You can break that down into different vlans
    For the most part it is correct. But now there are layer 3 switches that
    will work.
    How many ports, how many vlans??
    Can you rephrase this.

    Dana, Jan 5, 2007
  8. tobe_better

    Dana Guest

    Looks like a layer 3 switch will do what he is looking for.

    Dana, Jan 5, 2007
  9. tobe_better

    Dana Guest

    Hi again.
    here are some links on layer 3 switching.
    http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia_term/0,2542,t=layer+3+switch&i=45957,00.asp
    http://ckp.made-it.com/layer3switching.html

    http://www.pulsewan.com/data101/layer3_switching_basics.htm

    Dana, Jan 5, 2007
  10. tobe_better

    Dana Guest

    Check this out as well.

    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/idg4/nd2012.htm

    Dana, Jan 5, 2007
  11. tobe_better

    FedUp Guest

    On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 17:06:16 -0900, Dana wrote:

    <snip>

    Dana said:
    <snip>

    Of course it will. A layer 3 switch is a router on steroids. One of your
    references states in fact that a layer 3 switch is a router.

    FedUp, Jan 5, 2007
  12. tobe_better

    Dana Guest

    True enough.
    Of course today with layer 3 switches, marketing tends to obscure the
    difference between layer 3 switches, and your traditional router.
    That may be why he is asking questions.

    Dana, Jan 5, 2007