    advanced for my knowledge. If someone could provide some info, and
    elaborate on destination IP and routing if applicable, I would
    appreciate the help.

    Xero Reflux, Sep 23, 2006

  2. Xero Reflux

    Whiskers Guest

    Do you mean an arrangement something like this?:-

    \|/ ........................... \|/
    | |
    +----------+ +----------+
    | | +-----+ | Notebook |
    internet>=====| WZR-G240 | +-----+ +---------+
    | |==============| Linksys | +-----+
    +----------+ | NR041 |====| PC2 |
    +---------+ +-----+

    If that is the set-up, then the Linksys router is at present not really
    needed; the second PC could be connected directly to the Buffalo router.
    That would be simpler :))

    If you really want to have the second router in play, then you have to
    decide for yourself whether you want it to work as a 'switch', so that all
    the computers connecting through it get their local IP numbers etc from the
    Buffalo router acting as the only 'gateway' on your network, or do you
    want the Linksys to operate in full 'router' mode, allocating IP numbers
    of its own (from a different sequence of numbers from those allocated by
    the Buffalo) to all the machines connected to it?

    The settings you make on PC2 and on the Linksys will depend on which way
    you want to answer that question - and the instructions for the Linksys
    should tell you how to do either configuration (if it is capable of being
    configured both ways).

    Whiskers, Sep 23, 2006

  3. Xero Reflux

    Xero Reflux Guest

    The layout would look like this

    < 2nd Floor> Internet

    Cable Modem

    NR041 Router----------------
    | | |
    | PC 1 Network
    Printer

    <Basement> WZR-G240 Router
    | |
    | |
    PC 2 Wireless Notebook

    All the articles I read give differant variations on doing this. Wiring
    the 2 routers, for example, you can either go from Router 2 WAN to
    Router 1 LAN or Router 2 LAN to Router 1 LAN. One if them is faster,
    one of them requires the DHCP on one Router 2 to be disabled, and one
    of them requires a static IP aswell as possibly needing to use the
    uplink port on one of the routers. What I'm trying to do is get
    Internet flowing to all the computers, and allow sharing of the
    printer.

    NR041:IP:192.168.1.1 Subnet:255.255.255.0

    WZR-G240: IP: 192.168.11.1 Subnet:255.255.255.0

    Xero Reflux, Sep 24, 2006
  4. Xero Reflux

    Whiskers Guest

    I suspect you drew that using a 'proportional font' ;))
    You seem to want the 'wireless access point' in the basement. I think the
    simplest arrangement would be to use the WZR-G240 just as a 'switch' and
    'wireless access point' - ie don't let it allocate any IP numbers at all,
    or do any other 'routerish' stuff: leave all that to the NR041. Just one
    set of IP numbers, one subnet mask, etc., all controlled by the router that
    is connected to your cable 'modem'. Whether you prefer to use DHCP or
    give each machine a static IP number, is up to you.

    Whiskers, Sep 24, 2006
  5. Xero Reflux

    Duane Arnold Guest

    This is how you connect two routers together. It doesn't make any
    difference wire to wire, wireless to wireless or wire to wireless. It
    doesn't make any difference what brand the routers are either. The
    principles of connecting to the routers is the same.

    http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=358

    You can't have one router on 192.168.1.1 while the second one is on
    192.168.11.1. The computers will not be able to share resources that
    way. The second router must be using the same DHCP server on whatever
    the gateway router is using and its device IP must be in the range of
    the gateway router's device IP, like 192.168.1.2 a static IP on the
    gateway router if the router's device IP is 192.168.1.1.

    The second router becomes a switch. If the second router is the wireless
    router, then it becomes a wire/WAP switch, becase the DHCP server is
    disabled on the router.

    http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-hubs-and-switches.asp

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Sep 24, 2006
  6. Xero Reflux

    Fat Ass Fred Guest

    There are other ways of doing this....
    Your assuming the subnet mask will allways be 255.255.255.0, if you
    setup the subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 You can most certainly have 2
    routers working together, each with DHCP enabled, and the second on
    192.168.11.1 and the first on 192.168.1.1. Each router assigns IP
    addresses for the devices that are connected to it. The devices on
    either router can see any computer with an IP address of 192.168.0.1
    through 192.168.255.255 as the subnet now defines that is the network.
    If it can't be done, then I'll have to re-write history, because I've
    done it before. Its basically setting up your own WAN in your house.
    Granted, the 192.168.x.x range is to be used for class C networks, and
    as such you wouldn't have upto 65535 computers on the network, and if
    your router allows you to change the IP address to a network address
    reserved to handle 65535 computers, then change it. I think 10.0.0.1
    would work, but what difference does it make if you modify the
    sub-mask of both routers to see each other.... Heck, you don't even
    have to do 254 at that... If you use 192.168.1.254, you can even use
    something like 255.255.254.0 There, that allows for 512 computers as
    compared to 65535.... Better?

    Fat Ass Fred, Sep 24, 2006
  7. Xero Reflux

    Duane Arnold Guest

    If the guy reports back and says it works, then I'll believe you. I
    never tried it, but a guy I kind of trust said that you couldn't share
    resources between machines even if two machines on the same router were
    using 192.168.1.x while the other one was using 192.168.2.x. Like I
    said, I never tried it and just kept them in the same range to keep it
    simple, between the wire/WAP switch and the FW appliance.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Sep 25, 2006
  8. Xero Reflux

    Leythos Guest

    If OUTER Router is LAN 192.168.1.1/24
    Inner Router is LAN 192.168.2.1/24
    Inner Router is WAN (with IP in OUTER LAN 192.168.1.2/24)

    Using the default NAT methods, a PC on Inner Router can reach any device
    in OUTER Router LAN network, but a device in the OUTER Router can not
    reach any devices in the INNER Router LAN unless you port map.

    If you setup both routers in the same LAN subnet (192.168.1.1/24), the
    INNER Router devices will always look to their own LAN for IP's that you
    might want them to find in the OUTER LAN.

    You can also disable the DHCP on the INNER ROUTER and connect the LAN of
    inner router to the LAN of OUTER ROUTER, making the IP of INNER ROUTER
    192.168.1.2/24, don't connect INNER ROUTER WAN, and then you just extend
    the network with additional ports - if the INNER is also a wireless
    access points or wireless routers, it will provide a way to make a
    wireless router just an Access Point.

    Leythos, Sep 25, 2006