    second router acting as a wireless bridge in my office on the basement
    floor that it just can't communicate with.

    Cheers!

    Stephen Thomas Cole, Dec 11, 2014

  2. You will need a 5GHZ wifi router then, and hope it has the range.

    original wifi can't ever do much more than 40Mbps and that's on a clear
    day for a single device with a following wind

    The Natural Philosopher, Dec 11, 2014

  3. Stephen Thomas Cole

    Graham J Guest

    Wireless is a half-duplex technology that shares its spectrum with other
    wireless users on the same or adjacent channels. You're very unlikely
    to get better than about 40 Mbits/sec.

    If you want full speed 100 Mbits/sec you should use Ethernet cables.
    That way you could get 1 Gbits/sec between devices on the LAN - really
    good for backup to NAS.

    Wireless is a hopelessly oversold technology.

    Graham J, Dec 11, 2014
  4. Stephen Thomas Cole

    Woody Guest

    Also, don't get mixed up between megabits and megabytes (a
    factor of 10) which suppliers often provide to make
    themselves look better.

    Point of interest - does the OP have a SH1 or SH2? The
    latter - a branded Netgear product - is known to be
    substantially better than the SH1. As the SH is owned by VM
    I would suggest all it needs is to develop an 'intermittent'
    problem on your side as (a) VM can see the line side and (b)
    they do not guarantee the wi-fi operation so they might
    change it for you.

    Woody, Dec 11, 2014
  5. Stephen Thomas Cole

    Ian Jackson Guest

    In message <m6bl13$idq$>, Woody <>
    writes

    Yebbut....
    The only real confusion may be that de facto unit for SPEED is 'bits per
    second' (b/s), and for data storage CAPACITY it is 'bytes' (capital B,
    where 1 byte is usually 8 bits). The only discrepancy is whether (for
    example) the prefix 'kilo' means x1000 or x1024. As such, speeds in b/s
    are 8 times faster than if they were quoted in B/s - but nobody is
    trying to deceive anybody.

    Unfortunately, computer programmer people (even Microsoft) often display
    speeds on your screen in 'B/s' (or even B/S), when they really mean
    'b/s'. As nobody means 'B/s', you can therefore be pretty sure that if
    you see 'B/s', it is actually 'b/s' (if you see what I mean!).

    Ian Jackson, Dec 11, 2014
  6. Stephen Thomas Cole

    Andy Burns Guest

    Under close to ideal circumstances, I've had 270-300Mbps throughput over
    WiFi ...

    * 5GHz (and I was likely the only non 2.4GHz client)

    * 40MHz wide channels

    * multi aerials/radios on the access point and on the laptop (MIMO)

    * 1Gb ethernet connection between access point and switch

    * Good line of sight to access point

    * Transferring a large file, so the bulk of the data is on one
    directions, with only acknowledgements in the other diretion

    * Talking to a server with large SAS RAID array serving up the data

    and yet, I still prefer to use a £2 cat5 patch lead whenever I can :)

    Andy Burns, Dec 11, 2014

  7. It may not be a router problem. What is the capability of your
    wireless adapter? G won't do, N 150Mbps will improve it, but a 300
    Mbps wiill certainly. But then your router needs to be capable of
    using the adapter's capability.

    brightside S9, Dec 11, 2014
  8. Stephen Thomas Cole

    chris Guest

    Not true. In Firefox I see downloads come down in B/s and it's correct.
    My line speed is ~12Mbps and Firefox d/loads are usually in the 1-1.5
    MB/s region.

    chris, Dec 11, 2014
  9. Stephen Thomas Cole

    Ian Jackson Guest

    Well, 1.5MB/s IS around 12Mb/s. But of course, maybe it really does mean
    'Mb/s' and your Firefox downloads really ARE slow (although I'm sure you
    will have noticed).

    But as I said, computer people are often very lax about whether they
    mean 'b' or 'B'. Surely quoting data speeds in real B/s is unusual?

    And where is the MB/s displayed? I've got NetMeter to indicate my up and
    down speeds, and one of the options is to show units in kilobits,
    kibits, kilobytes or kibytes per second. If I really want to show low
    numbers, I could choose kB/s.

    Ian Jackson, Dec 11, 2014
  10. If the prefix means 1024 (rather than 1000), it's supposed to be
    written "kib" or "kiB" and pronounced "kibibits" or "kibibytes"
    (rather than kilobits or kilobytes). Similarly with "mebibytes" and so
    on. There's an article all about this on Wikipedia.

    The basic principles appear to be-

    1. There are 8 bits in a byte.

    2. Bits are indicated by a lowercase b, bytes by capital B.

    3. For multiples of 10, the usual multipliers, kilo-, mega- etc are
    used, but when dealing with "binary thousands" or "binary millions"
    etc, i.e. multiples of 2^10 which are close to multiples of 10^3, then
    the word is modified by inserting the letters "bi", to indicate that
    it's binary, so you get get prefixes "kibi-", "mebi-", "gibi-" etc.

    It's all perfectly logical once you realise how the system works, but
    as usual the world has no shortage of people who don't, and of course
    the numbers claimed for a particular device or system may also depend
    on who's buying and who's selling.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Dec 11, 2014
  11. be aware that twhe convention SEEMS to be that communication channels
    are quoted in raw bits per second but data transfer is in Bytes/s
    because not only are there less bytes than bits, but also the
    multiplier is not 8 either, as framing bits create an overhead in packet
    switched networks.

    e.g. I get around 12MB/s on a 100Mbps ethernet...NOT 12.5MB/s

    On DSL its a fair bit worse than that.

    The Natural Philosopher, Dec 11, 2014
  12. Stephen Thomas Cole

    Woody Guest

    Or as Philips/Sony showed with the mini-disc, when the
    biggest bit is turned on it matters not what the smallest
    bit is doing. When we are talking millions we can surely
    forget the units?

    Woody, Dec 11, 2014
  13. Stephen Thomas Cole

    Bob Latham Guest

    Just to be clear, are you saying you cannot hear mini-disc compression?

    Bob.

    Bob Latham, Dec 12, 2014
  14. Stephen Thomas Cole

    Woody Guest

    No, what I am saying is that they took a 16 bit sample but
    only used the 10 most significant bits. Thus if the MSB is
    active then it really doesn't matter what the LSB is doing
    as its effect is so tiny which was what they showed. For
    most people who had it mini-disc was actually quite
    effective for its intended use but I would agree the
    compression could be noticed on decent hi-fi kit. However
    compare it to a cassette and its a no-brainer.

    Woody, Dec 12, 2014
  15. Stephen Thomas Cole

    Bob Latham Guest

    I have a Virgin SuperHub in modem only mode. The Router I prefer is an
    Asus RT-N66U with update 6 of the firmware found here...
    http://1drv.ms/1uChm3J

    I am delighted with it in every way including wireless coverage on 2.4 and
    5.0 Ghz. Runs a really cool Intranet on a data stick plugged in the top as
    well.

    YMMV.

    Bob.

    Bob Latham, Dec 12, 2014
  16. Stephen Thomas Cole

    chris Guest

    I haven't double-checked, but it certainly *feels* like 1.5MB/s or 12Mbps.
    Whether it's unusual or not is moot. I was just correcting your
    assertion that reported B/s usually means b/s
    From memory on linux is tells you on downloads panel. In OSX it's
    detailed on a mouse hover on the downloads panel.

    chris, Dec 12, 2014
  17. Stephen Thomas Cole

    Mr Pounder Guest

    If its the Superhub1 they are useless with wireless.
    Moan and KEEP moaning at VM, they will send you a Superhub2. They will try
    to make you pay for it, tell them to get lost and insist on a free one.

    Mr Pounder, Dec 12, 2014
  18. Stephen Thomas Cole

    Woody Guest

    Exactly as I said in an earlier posting. Mind you from what
    I read whilst the replacement Netgear unit is streets better
    it is still not one of their best products.

    Woody, Dec 12, 2014
  19. Stephen Thomas Cole

    Mr Pounder Guest

    Dunno, it has not dropped the signal in about two months though.
    They promised me the SH2 then sent the SH1. When I rang them they could not
    understand how I'd been promised the free SH2 but said they would send one
    anyway and postage to return the one sent by mistake. No postage arrived so
    it is in the loft.
    They sent me a letter saying that I'd entered into a new contract with them.
    They see the SH2 as an upgrade, I see it as a repair.
    I'm thinking of ditching their phone line as we hardly use it. A mobile
    would be much cheaper, dunno yet by how much.

    Mr Pounder, Dec 13, 2014
  20. Stephen Thomas Cole

    Woody Guest

    It will cost you about a third more to have B/B alone
    without the phone - daft though it may seem. Do be aware
    that is you have B/B and phone you can have a FTA cable TV
    box f.o.c. (you may have to pay postage) and that will most
    probably be HD to boot. VM FTA TV includes iPlayer, 4OD etc.

    Woody, Dec 13, 2014