Router Question: One Port Works, Another One Became Disconnected. What Might Have Happened ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Jun 13, 2005.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hi all,

    This relates to my son's PC. As he's not in my area, I haven't had the
    opportunity to personally play with the
    problem, but thought I'd post one specific first question which really
    interests me. I'm not too sharp with this stuff, frankly.

    He is connected to Verizon DSL.

    From the wall spigot, the line goes to the Verizon modem box, and then to
    Link Sys router
    which feeds his PC and his wifes.

    His PC is hardwired to the router (desktop PC), and his wifes works off the
    wireless
    feature of the router (laptop).

    He swears he changed nothing in the last week or so, but his, not his
    wife's, PC would not
    connect anymore. Wife's worked fine.

    Anyway, what worked on getting his PC re-connected and functional again was
    to turn the power
    off to the router, wait about 20 seconds, and turn the router's power back
    on.
    It then "automatically" reconnected his PC to the internet.

    What I can't understand is why his wifes PC thru the wireless connection
    always worked, but
    for his to reconnect, we had to do the power disconnect thing. Why ?

    Is it possible orK likely for ONLY one port (the hard wired one going to his
    PC) to drop the
    connection ? What might actually cause this to happen ?

    Hope this isn't too wordy, and that I've explained things fairly well.
    know nothing about routers. There's was set up by someone else.

    Just very interested in how or why one port on the router may be functional,
    but another one drops the connection ?

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Jun 13, 2005

  2. Robert11

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Just very interested in how or why one port on the router may be
    That's because two different technologies are being used on the device. One
    is wire that is using the eithernet LAN port connection with Rj45 and the
    other connection type is wireless.

    When my Linksys BEFW11S4 v1 router died after being on 24/7 365 since 2001,
    the wireless stopped working but the eithernet wire still worked.

    The device likes good clean constant power and will go defective if other
    household appliances are spiking or draining the line due to them switching
    on and off on a routine basis. If the router is not being protected by a
    UPS/AVR system, then one should consider getting one.

    Wether or not the router is being protected properly, it sounds like the
    device is going defective.

    You could try a new wire cable, a different port, or reflash the router and
    see what happens.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 13, 2005

  3. Robert11

    Plato Guest

    Yes, sometimes you have to do the drill even if one pc wont connect,
    even if they are all connected the same.

    Plato, Jun 14, 2005
  4. Robert11

    chip Guest

    hey, just an idea but does he leave his pc on??, a lot of routers are
    configured for DHCP it makes em easier to set up. so when he's trying to get
    on the net his IP lease may have expired

    Just an idea..... either that or the router could be faulty

    chip, Jun 14, 2005