    integrated modem or just a DSL router which would "sit" behind the existing
    DSL modem. Can anyone explain the pros and cons ?

    Thanks

    Pete Kennedy, May 18, 2005

  2. Pete Kennedy

    Pete Kennedy Guest

    Hmm, answering my own question, I think I need a router with an integrated
    modem because the existing modem is USB and if I understand rightly, DSL
    routers don't have a USB plug !

    Peter

    Pete Kennedy, May 18, 2005

  3. Pete Kennedy

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    Ignoring the price component, it is better to go with External Ethernet
    Modem and a Stand alone Cable/DSL Router.

    The Router part of the Modem/Router combos is not as good as a stand alone
    Router, and using a combo reduces your future flexibility (like if you would
    like to go Wireless it get cumbersome and more expensive to add Wireless).

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, May 18, 2005