router for an apartment complex

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Thomas Hallock, Aug 19, 2004.

  1. I'm looking to get a new router for my apartment complex. At peak
    operation, I'd be servicing no more than 48 network devices in 16
    apartment units, mostly desktops and laptops used by the renters with
    the exception of one web/email server visible to the outside. I'm trying
    to find an effective solution for as little $$$ as possible, preferably
    something under $200.

    In order of necessity, this is a list of features for my ideal router:

    * NAT

    * a good track record for remote operation such that I won't find myself
    having to make an inconvenient trip to the complex to punch a stupid
    when a packet gets jammed somewhere. This is what is happening with my
    BEFW11s4 which is currently handling the routing for this place.

    * a good firewall. I don't know much about what makes a good firewall,
    so I'm open to recommendations on what would be good here.

    * 10 MBPS. That's all I really need for distributing broadband. Faster
    is okay, but this is all I really need.

    * SNMP management and monitoring

    * web-based management (though ssh or telnet would suffice)

    * dual WAN connections in case one goes out.

    * compatible with the Cisco IOS features of my Catalyst 1924 switch

    * some way to logically separate units of the apartments complex for
    security and bandwidth management. VLANS? My CAT switch can do
    port-based VLANS, but requires VTP functionality in the router.

    * dynamic domain name service client, similar to the one found in most
    netgear home routers

    * integrated or modular support for an ADSL bridge.

    I'm leaning towards getting a Linksys WRT54G ($56 at NewEgg) and putting
    some 3rd party firmware on it, but I have reservations with Linksys
    equipment after my experiences with my current router.

    so... any recommendations on what I should get?

    Thanks!
    -Thomas Hallock

    Thomas Hallock, Aug 19, 2004

  2. Thomas Hallock

    Doug Guest

    The Linksys RV series (RV042) might better suit your needs than the WRT54G.
    Costs about twice as much, but has dual WAN ports for a backup connection, a
    better firewall function. I haven't used one yet, but will be in the near
    future.

    Doug, Aug 19, 2004