    upstream and me.

    Is that normal? Shouldn't my router just drop and ignore the traffic
    if there is no default rout in for it and it's INCOMING?

    Matt, Jul 10, 2003

  2. Why not? Add a null0 route if you don't have a place to send them at the
    moment.
    No. Sometimes it's correct for packets to go back out the same interface
    they came in on. Most of these cases happen on LANs rather than serial
    interfaces, but the forwarding decisions are made without taking into
    account the type of interface.

    Barry Margolin, Jul 10, 2003

  3. With few exceptions, perimeter routers should always have a static route to
    null0 for the set of all IP addresses under private control. Set the static
    route to a high administrative distance, which will cause the route to serve
    as a safety net. So, if one of your internal routes disappears from the
    perimeter routing table, packets will drop. Otherwise, internal traffic can
    cause congestion on your outside link (exactly like you're describing).

    Michael

    group.

    Michael T. Hall, Jul 11, 2003