Router Dynamic DNS - DHCP Inside and Outside - Newbie help

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by indydano, Dec 1, 2005.

  1. indydano

    indydano Guest

    Hello,

    I am still a newbie to Cisco and I am trying to learn about Cisco
    Routers/IOS. I have a router that I am trying to setup with DHCP on the
    WAN and LAN side. The problem I am running into is - I can't figure out
    how to get the DNS info from the WAN (E1) to the LAN (E0). DHCP gives
    my laptop an IP address (192.168.1.10), subnet (255.255.255.0), and
    gateway (192.168.1.1), but I don't get the DNS addresses on the WAN or
    LAN. When I plug straight into the network with my laptop I get
    everything I need and can surf. So, I guess the question is - How do I
    get the WAN which is DHCP to get an address, subnet, gateway, and dns
    info and pass that info thru to the LAN? I hope this makes sence as I
    am trying to learn all of the terminology.

    Thank you in advance,

    Daniel

    indydano, Dec 1, 2005

  2. indydano

    Merv Guest

    Not easily done with Cisco IOS. Linsys boxes do it automatically.

    What router and IOS version are you using.

    Merv, Dec 2, 2005

  3. indydano

    indydano Guest

    Hi - Thanks for the response.

    I have a Cisco 831 running c831-k9o3y6-mz.124-5.bin

    Do you have any suggestions - My ISP wants me to use DHCP (sticky IP).
    Can I set the router WAN interface as DHCP and assign static DNS
    addresses?

    Thanks again... I'm glad it isn't easy - I've spent almost 2 full days
    working on this problem...

    indydano, Dec 2, 2005
  4. indydano

    Merv Guest

    What is the access technology that your ISP is providing ?

    Please post your current config

    Merv, Dec 2, 2005
  5. Assuming that the E1 does get DNS addresses, you can check by closely
    inspecting the clues in "debug dhcp detail", and I think the "show host"
    command will also display the nameserver addresses you have got, then in
    the DHCP pool on the router you put the "import all" command, i.e.

    !
    ip dhcp pool FOO
    network 192.168.1.0 /24
    default-router 192.168.1.1